1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An almost not newbie.... who may have a small (flying predator) problom...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clover Song, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Clover Song

Clover Song Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2016
    Soo... we have a roo who is Barred Rock and 7 hens Hazel, Piper, Annabeth, Ms. Fabulous, Liza, and Scarlet AND a baby roo (Leo) and baby hen (Lacey). That's where the problem is.

We HAD 2 baby hens but one got killed by a hawk.... I would like to know if I should expect to see more hawks around then usual. Any suggestions to help keep them

away? [​IMG] Also first hawk taking out a chicken at all.

(also it says "Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page if i try to put pics... can i get help with that too?)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Yep, hawks are a real pain and once they have had success, they will likely return time and again. I have lost 2 chicks to hawks over the past year. Lots of theories on how to try and deter them, including hanging fishing lines, putting CDs on them, erecting paper / plastic owls and others I'm sure. I like my flock to faff around in the garden, rather than having them in a run, so i have to take the odd loss on the chin. I did however buy a catapult the other day (mainly as a monkey deterrent) so any hawks that i see will be "encouraged" to naff off.

Re: the pics - activity is limited in initial posts to try and reduce spam, so keep on posting and you will be able to include all the pics you want.

Hope this helps
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. marlo101freddy1

marlo101freddy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    the are chicken hawks and the only thing you can do about that is secure your chicken more! if your letting them roam wherever they feel like thats probably the problem. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Clover Song

Clover Song Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2016
    Thanks! :)
    I'll try one of those soon. My mom saw a hawk already today so they are staying in till the hawks go to bed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  5. marlo101freddy1

Jan 13, 2016
    okay! [​IMG]

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Put some roofed areas in for them or try to contact your local Fish & Game and see if they can relocate the hawk.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The only way to completely protect your birds from hawks is to keep them in some kind of run or enclosure with wire or netting over the top. If you are free ranging your flock you will inevitably lose some to predators like hawks. Of course it will be up to you to determine whether or not the losses are acceptable. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. marlo101freddy1

Jan 13, 2016
    hi its me marlo how many chickens do you have? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by