An Angel in the post office-the sweetest story ever =)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rebecca10782, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    My mom heard this true story from a friend. A woman had a 14 year old dog and a 4 year old girl. The dog got sick and past away, and the little girl wrote a letter to God asking if He would make sure to take good care of her pet. She recieved a letter back from God telling her that her dog is up in heaven and He is taking good care of him [​IMG]

Is that not the sweetest thing! When my mom told me, I asked her why the post office would open mail. She started to laugh and told me "The letter was adressed to GOD, I don't think there is a post office in heaven!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I can be pretty dumb sometimes [​IMG]

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I don't understand . . . what right did they have to open the mail? Was this before there were laws in place to prevent it? The letter should have been returned unopened. I would have raised a stink about that, it seems horribly presumptuous and invasive for the post office to have done that. I hope she managed to take care of that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

That is a very sweet story - I've heard of many postal employees doing such things and returning letters like that.

I just saw on the news the other day where people at the USPS were opening letters addressed just to "SANTA NORTH POLE" - and how kids weren't as "wanty" as many adults think. They were asking for their parents health, houses, more food, to get better, world peace, their moms/dads to come home, for God to hear their prayers, etc. The USPS workers shared this story with the media (w/out releasing the names of the kids) because they said it touched them so much that these children - all different ages from 3 on up to teenagers - believed enough in Santa to write letters but more miraculous was what they were asking FOR.

Warms my heart but also makes me very sad to know that children are wanting so much in our country.

ETA: these letters just go to a bin and get thrown away btw...as "Undeliverable" - just like a letter to God would if sent to the USPS. In that being said - yes it is illegal to open others mail, but i think in these circumstances... [​IMG] Also there have been MANY miracles that have resulted just from this type of situation. Postal workers have passed along letters/stories to the media (one I recall was a life threatening condition which required surgery..family had no money, person was going to die..) letter got on the news.. people heard about it - and a person annoymously donated all the money to pay for the operation and aftercare.

Yes Virginia..there IS a Santa Claus [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have the whole story. This was copied from another message board I chat at-

This is one of the kindest things you may ever see. It is not known who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated th words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven.

Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to kee p and have something to remember Abbey by..

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.

By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,
    God

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] what a tear jerker that is..... the person who did such a special thing surely has wing [​IMG]

6. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    That was a very nice thing for that person to do. [​IMG] It made me teary eyed. [​IMG]

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I have to agree.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I have to agree.

The mom didn't think this was invasive or bad. She was very touched. In fact, she made a conscious choice NOT to try and find out who did it.

I did a Snopes on the story to see if it was true, and it IS.

9. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Awwwwwwwwww............. That is so sweet!

10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    sometimes doing the right thing means breaking the rules.!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by