An Apple Bird? :P -- An Apple Thread, Post your pix!

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
So, Jack (our neighbor) has a small orchard. He's been saying for weeks to come pick his apples. Today, my sister in law and I took the kids over. I can't say I've climbed a tree in the last 10 years of my life, but I had to shake the apples down some how. Now... When you bring home a GIANT laundry hamper full... What do you do with them all?

2888458087_de14df04f8.jpg

You can take a few minutes to peel a few and bake some yummy, flakey, sweet pies...

2888458347_6c6c26480e.jpg

But then you have this little bird following you around for treats of baked apple all afternoon...

2888458633_921cd53db2.jpg

lol.png
love.gif

Seriously though, beside apple sauce, what do I do with a metric ton of apples? As far as I know, they're a mix of Granny Smith, a small tart apple and something Jack called a 'winter' apple. I mixed them to make the pies and they came out decent. Declan LOVED them. Obviously.
lol.png

Last edited:
im planning on canning sliced apples so they are ready for pie, etc later on. And applesauce too. I wish my apple trees had apples that nice, I will have to buy them this year.

the smaller red stripey ones look like MacIntosh or Cortland. Excellent for baking.

Last edited:
Today, we made super chunky cinnamon apple sauce
big_smile.png

2890157787_01082e1151.jpg

Sadly, we haven't even made a dent in the hamperfull... but thankfully, I'm not appled out yet!
lol.png

What do you make with apples? Post your pix!!!
big_smile.png
Maybe a mod should move this to the recipe section? I posted here since it was about my son too.

Quote:
Two days in a row, I've taken out all the apple peels and cores. Now they wait for me by the run's door to see what I 'may' be carrying.
lol.png

Quote:
Two days in a row, I've taken out all the apple peels and cores. Now they wait for me by the run's door to see what I 'may' be carrying.
lol.png

gig.gif
Weeeeelllll...... there is always composting
tongue.png
and I think my mom has a recipe that she uses apples with. It had something to do with either pork and/or yams.....

ETA: Just thought of this.. you could find someone who makes apple cidar or you could make your own! My mom knows a friend that takes her apples to an Amish place and they make the cidar for her. AND it is delicious!!! We have some now and it tastes soooooo good.

Last edited:
Composting! awesome, btw my chickens eat compost and the all the little grubs i find in it too!

Back
Top Bottom