an ark in winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ladybird12, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    I have 2 silkies and two little Bantam hens which I keep in an ark which I move around my Garden , trouble is I kive in South Wales UK high up the Valleys and last year we had really cold temps and lots of snow !! I am just wondering how I can make my little hens more cosy safe and warm in their ark without having to put them in the garage , any advice would be appreciated ? [​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have four coops that vary in size from 8x14 to 4x4. This summer I built an ark to put a trio of bantams in. I plan to cover the lower run area with plastic this winter. The coop portion is fine and I think that if the lower section is wrapped and draft free they will have a dry snow free run area and show be able to winter quite pleasantly.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I live in NH where we get a pretty good snowfall and brutally cold temps in winter. I kept my hens in a tractor for the last 3 winters. My run space was sizable and completely enclosed in welded wire. In the winter I would wrap the run in plastic sheeting which kept it wind-free and completely bare of snow. The hens did very well this way. This winter the hens (with several newbies) have been moved to a large, airy coop with a much larger, completely enclosed run. I don't have the capabilities of keeping the run snow-free anymore. I do not think the old hens are going to approve come winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by