An couple un-broody hens.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GwenReaper, Sep 10, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    So I am new in the chicken world. I got 3 hens and 2 of them are laying. I want to try and hatch a couple since they are fertile. The 2 hens that are laying will not sit on the eggs. They lay in the same spot but they wont even be near them at night. Is it possible for the younger hen that is not laying on it to brood? Currently she is in my house in a cat carrier because she twisted her leg when my dog went after her- (thats a whole different story to begin with) but she is doing well inside and she will be inside til she is fully healed. But would it be possible for me to stick a few eggs in there with her and see if she sits??

I just do not have the money for an incubator right now... and this is my only option.

What temp to the eggs have to be to keep them alive?? until I find a solution?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Broodiness is a hormonal thing and its unlikely the one that isnt laying will go broody. It depends on what breed your chickens are and how long they have been laying, Just giving them eggs will not help either, unless they are silkies:D. Keep the eggs in a cool spot until you have a way to incubate or the hens go broody, up to 10 days.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. GwenReaper

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Okay thanks. I will try to get a home made incubator in the works.

The eggs were laid on tuesday and wednesday. How long do I have to get something going?

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Do you have a rooster? Just curious.

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    How long do I have to get something going?

Usually you are safe within a ten day window. The older they are, the harder to get them to hatch. Some folks have kept them longer. On the counter, room temperature, around 50 degrees (supposed to be ideal) in the refrigerator (not too good for mine), are some suggestions.

My ideal -- 10 days or less, 50 deg. constant until they are set...When ready to set, bring to room temp over 24 hours, "turning" every 4 hours or so.... I put a book under one end of the carton, then the other end in 4 hrs. Then set them in your PREHEATED, stabilized incubator.​

6. GwenReaper

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:No I do not have a rooster. But I just got them from a friend who did. So the first eggs should be fertile.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They won't be much longer so you'll have to hurry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by