An eagle just attacked my Welsh Harlequin drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMamaNH, Dec 7, 2012.

1. DuckMamaNH

DuckMamaNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Fellow bird lovers, my large Welsh Harlequin (Leo) was just attacked a few minutes ago by an eagle right on my back porch. I heard the commotion and was able to get the eagle off of him and brought my ducks in right away! I checked him all over, there does appear to be a small wound on the back of his neck that is bleeding a little. Otherwise he is doing well, swimming in my tub with his mate.

I really didn't think an eagle would attack a full-sized duck, especially when there are wild Mallards all over the pond that we live on. This was a real eye-opener for us. No ducks on porches unless a human is right there with them!!!

2. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you Duck recovers.

It is a cruel world out there and it does very much depend on the size of the Eagle

This clip on You tube sort of puts the kill or be killed law of the jungle into perspective

I had no idea an Eagle could carry a Goat until I stumbled on this just now

We have Buzzards and Herons here, the Buzzards take the young ducklings and the Heron takes anything, Frogs Fish Birds the lot.
    I also have a very large Oak tree and that is home to several Crows they act as guardians during the breeding season and will drive off the Buzzards and Herons most of the time.

My Ducks nearly always know if something is up in the air that shouldn't be, they turn their heads sideways and watch with one beady eye.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, boy. Glad you were that close!

You are doing the right thing, checking him over, giving him a swim, keeping him company. I would be sure to keep him as clean as possibly especially the next few days, using something like Vetericyn or other antiseptic to prevent infection. Extra vitamins is another thing I would do for him. Be sure he stays warm enough, that was a real physical trauma. My ducks have been quite wary of something in the trees for several weeks. I came home a few days ago to a pile of bluejay feathers not far from the ducks' Day Pen, and that has fence top, bottom and sides.

This year we have read of a number of hawk or eagle attacks on grown ducks.

4. DuckMamaNH

DuckMamaNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Thank you, Amiga and DallasCriftins. I have applied BlueKote to his neck, where he has a small wound. He is doing well otherwise, and is in my basement with his mate, the three other ducks, and a heat lamp/food/water. I am going to just checking on him, applying peroxide and BlueKote...and giving him lots of love. I will be devastated if anything happens to him.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You have a good plan. I pray he's quickly completely healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by