An Early Christmas Surprise!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jimmiaandboys, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    Imagine my excitement when I'd heard little cheeps from underneath our broody Splash Orp this am!!![​IMG] [​IMG] She's been broody since the middle of Nov. and when I checked beneath her that first wk I swore I didn't feel or see an egg, so I figured she'd come out of it on her own. Well, she didn't and a few days ago I went to collect eggs and noticed she was in the run (figured she broke out of her trance) and I collected the egg from her nestbox (thought it was another's egg). While walking back to the house felt the egg pulsate(?) in my hand and I was baffled. We're newbies, so I plead ignorance but used intuition and took it back to the nestbox (the broody was already there) and placed the egg back under her. So while I was suspicious was also skeptical of my hunch and the egg being warm enough in our insulated but unheated coop (the coop warmed to about 36-38F the last few nights with outside lows of 8F).

I brought the chick inside after putting together a rubbermaid brooder. The mother was furious with me for taking away her baby. Will the mother recognize/accept the chick in the early spring when I add her to the coop? Will the chick have a harder time because it's brooding alone?

We'd tried to hatch a few of her and the blue orps' eggs last month (their splash orp roo was killed late Oct.[​IMG]) and didn't have enough humidity for a successful hatch. It was a spontaneous decision we weren't as prepared for but we learned alot about te LG incubator and we'll definitely be using a hygrometer in the future! Sorry, I digress.
    I'll post pics of our fuzzy little prince/princess soon!!! Any ideas/answers are appreciated![​IMG]

Mia

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    "One day I woke up, and there was more to love." Oh what a wonderful early Christmas surprise.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Congrats!

The chick will be upset about being brooded alone though. The hen will stay pretty mad for a bit too... any chance you could bring the hen indoors and let her brood the chick? A lonely chick is a sad thing... are you going to carry it around with you?

Also, when I last raised a single chick (I "stole" some eggs from some hens to incubate... one hatched the next day!) she didn't know she was a chicken, insisted on being with me, and was all around very un-chicken like. By the time the other eggs hatched, she wanted nothing to do with them. I had to listen to her awful peeping non-stop when I caged her in the cooler side of the brooder with the new chicks and I had to ignore her for a week before she decided she was indeed a chicken.

The best thing to do is let the momma brood it (which also gains flock acceptance) or find 2 more chicks to keep it company.

But no harm in a large dog crate in a far corner of the house for mom and baby... [​IMG] only until the baby has full feather (or good weather), then it can go back to the coop.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sweet!

My inlaws teased me that when I got the Rooster I would be up to my neck in unplanned chickens! They were thinking that chickens are like cats and rabbits. I teased back that by eating the eggs that was not an option! Of course my girls are not Laying yet! I would like more chickens which is why we also have the rooster. It is nice you got a sweet little surprise. A full feathered Momma is pretty warm and can keep her chick warm too! I would let her raise that baby and only keep it in the house till it gets feathered up nicely. Momma will keep it warm!

Caroline

5. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find a few day old chicks now. I'm just worried that the mom will be up and about with the other girls and this isn't the time of the yr. that the chick would survive long w/o her mom covering her. Tonight it's a balmy 16F outside and the henhouse is warmer than it's been for several nights at 44F, it just seems risky by the end of next wk we're supposed to have an artic blast.

Thanks for all of the wonderful wishes-we're adoring this little fuzzy being and so appreciate the support of BYC-ers!

I've uploaded some images of Bella/Beau(?) but am not sure how to add them to this post. I'm grateful for whatever help is offered[​IMG]

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would bring her mom (hen) in also, just until the chick has its feathers......
    then they could return to the coop.

7. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I had 2 Seramas hatch of 5 eggs 6 days ago and one was 'special needs". It was clearly blind in one eye (shut at birth). He ate and drank well, but was a little clumsy compared to the other. We lost it this morning. The remaining chick is miserable and cries all the time. I have put a feather "friend" with him which helps, but is there anything I can do the help him more? I really am concerned for him. We have taken turns letting him sit on us for a time which also helps but of course can't be done all the time. Any advice at all?

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I'm with you mandelyn, I had a loner hatch out of 6 and it is sad. After 3 wks I but him in with some chicks that were a couple weeks old he was so excited at first and kept trying to introduce himself put in pool brooder out in attached garage him first and slowly added older chicks one at a time, but couldnt fool others they dont peck him, even though he has feathered legs and they dont but they didnt see him as the same, needless to say, he's still a loner.

9. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I have a hen who is starting to brood on a egg. I collect every day but she gets irritated that I take it. I am thinking I'll let her brood after the first of the year to see what happens. I have an extra crate and it will be easy to have it in the house. This story excites me and give me infor. Never let a hen brood before.

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have a lone chick due to hatch on the 20th, had to toss 8 of 9 eggs. Silly rooster hasn't been breeding his purebred counterpart. I guess one of the eggs wasn't from the hen I wanted chicks from, and it's the only one developing. I quickly added some more cross-bred eggs, but they're a week behind. Of course they're developing! I'm going to cage that rooster with HIS hen whether he likes it or not so I can have some purebred babies!

If I had a broody hen, I would have caged her and let her brood the chick, instead of adding more crossbred eggs to the bator. But, no one is broody and I've learned from experience that one chick just doesn't do well. So, more eggs and I'm resigned to a week of holding the 1st chick. Then I'll hold it with another when it hatches, so that they bond. Then those two bonded birds will be added to the other 2 that are due, and they'll hopefully mix well. That way no one grows up alone and everyone comes out knowing they're a chicken when they're feathered enough to go in the coop. But I'll be alright with 2 and 2 bonded... better than 1 and 3, that one would be alone or picked at for trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by