An egg bound chicken that has no symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silis, Aug 29, 2013.

1. silis

silis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    I have an egg bound chicken, or at least I think. It has not layed in three days. I can feel a lump in her abdomen but she shows no symptoms. What should I do? [​IMG]

2. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    I know you said no symptoms but has she been spending a lot of time on the nest if so you need to boil some water and put in a bowl then grab the hen make sure shes straining then put her vent close to the boiling water and wait. hope it works will be praying[​IMG]

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Give her warm water soak,you need to do a cloacal exam,put on gloves(with lubricant if available)gently insert finger into vent and see if you can feel any obstruction. If you feel an egg,give her a calcium tablet,tums works fine,keep her quiet/calm and somewhere dark so she can relax,continue with warm baths.

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You will scald her this way,very dangerous.

5. hatcherkid777

hatcherkid777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    What do you suggest

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Warm water soaks are safe. Cloacal exam to feel for an egg,and calcium tablets.

7. silis

silis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    She is still not laying, but she is still alive. i think its because i showed her at two fairs (very stressful for her) and the seasons changing. so i think she is okay. Thank you for giving ideas and information.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by