1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An egg from my farm pipping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollyk, May 8, 2009.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Just for grins and giggles I put an egg from our chickens in the bator with the guinea eggs I set. I did not know if our roosters were getting the job done, it just didn't seem to take enough time.... I guess they don't need much stimulation.
    Well, this little egg was then placed under a boody hen who disowned it. It had been out of the bator for several hours and I thought it was a goner. But, I put it back in anyway.
    So, this morning while my daughter and I were in the kitchen- we here chirping. I thought the guineas were way early -not due until Tuesday. Savannah looked in and said "It's the chicken egg" Sure enough, it had a pip. Now the little lady is taking her time, but she is still working on the egg shell. Guess the roosters know what they are doing![​IMG]

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have my first chicks from my new flock of chickens and that's always the gratifying part. A chick you raised grows up and lays, another becomes the roo and that next generation hatches and it's all a very quiet sort of miracle.

Our first PR's and BA/PRs and bourbon red turkeys are on the ground now and it's just nifty. I had not realized how badly I had missed having chickens and having turkeys is really pretty awesome.

Congrats on the baby...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by