An egg hatched!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kateb77777, Jul 19, 2019.

1. kateb77777

kateb77777 In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2019
    So I've never incubated quail eggs (or any eggs!) before and thought I had overheated them early on so they wouldn't hatch but one actually did! so excited!!!
    But none of the other eggs are moving though or seem like they are doing anything, how long can this first quail stay in the incubator? it's in lockdown as of yesterday (day 15) and this quail hatched today. is it just an early one? I thought they tend to hatch in groups?

it is so tiny and cute :) I hope it survives.

2. rlchatham

rlchatham Chirping

May 9, 2017
    SW Oklahoma
    A little controversy surrounding this topic, but, I personally don't take out the hatched chicks until they are dry and no other eggs have pipped. I have kept the newly hatched chicks in the incubator for 24 hrs before and they were perfectly fine, too. Just my take. I am not an expert. Only an semi-experienced homestead breeder. Good luck and congratulations!

Texas Kiki, kateb77777 and 007Sean like this.
  3. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Usually birds can survive a few days on the yolk that they absorbed in the egg. I keep my chickens for 3 days or until everyone has hatched.

For quail, I do usually two days. Don’t be surprised that only one hatched so far. I had a chick hatch on Wednesday when his buddies weren’t due till today. Only now do I have another’s pip. Some just want to be the early bird.

kateb77777 likes this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Saint of the Sinners

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I remove mine between 18 to 24 hours. If none others have pipped, I may remove them sooner.

5. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Crowing

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I get them out ASAP. Sometimes even before they're dried off. As chicks hatch bacteria builds up inside the incubator, so leaving chicks inside with bacteria building up in a high humidity environment could cause disease, and they dry off faster outside of the incubator.

Even though they CAN go three days on their yolk sac, what I've witnessed is after about 1 &1/2 to 2 days after hatching the chicks are pulling/pecking on their mom's face because they're ready to eat. Also in a brooder they're ready to eat in the same amount of time.

kateb77777 likes this.
  6. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Be aware though that every time you open the incubator you risk damage to your other chicks. They can dry up and get stuck to their shell. Then they aren’t able to escape and basically die of exhaustion, hunger, being pecked, or lack of oxygen.

kateb77777 likes this.
  7. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Crowing

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Yes this is true, so keep an eye on the humidity level and add more water if needed.

Doublegi and kateb77777 like this.
  8. kateb77777

kateb77777 In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2019
    Thank you all, really appreciate the replies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: