An Egg in the Run...OH BOY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarah91477, Aug 5, 2014.

1. sarah91477

sarah91477 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I got 9 chicks the Wed after Easter this year. All is good with them thus far. We built them a coop from a shed and have followed tons of threads on here to make sure everything would be perfect! Since they are still "young" we were planning on building their nesting boxes in a few weeks, so we took a break from building. So, no nesting boxes yet, and their run isn't connected so in the mornings I open their door and they run out. Well, today I found the cutest little egg in their run in the afternoon. I was SHOCKED and very excited / proud. When I went in the coop to prep it for them for the night...checking food and water...I found another smaller egg on the floor in the shavings. OH BOY! So, now I need to get the nest boxes built in the next day or so. Do you think it is too late to teach whichever hen is laying to lay in the box and not just anywhere? I thought we still had a little time, and now here I am behind! Plus I still have to figure out how to attach the run to the shed. (The original plan didn't work in attaching so we are still at the drawing board on this one.) That said, should I leave them in the coop in the morning and put them in the run around 10 so they have time to lay? Any suggestions would help. I just hope I didn't flub this up!

2. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I dont think its too late, One you get all your nesting boxes done they will pick out which ones they like laying in best. Each of mine have their "special" nesting boxes. Sometimes there will be two in there at once. Which is a tight squeeze but they both wont give up and wait their turn. While other times, they stand outside like its a bathroom waiting to lay the egg

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Take a deep breath - this is really not a problem and you can still get the new layer to use the boxes once you have them installed. You can certainly go the confinement route - or you can use temporary nest boxes in the run for now and then once you have the issue of attachment worked out you can open and have them use nest boxes in the coop. What problems is it you have run into with regards to attaching your run?

1 person likes this.
  4. sarah91477

sarah91477 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    I bought a dog pen and wrapped around the existing fence with chicken wire the ENTIRE thing top, bottom and all sides. I thought I could just butt it up to the side of the shed where their door and ramp are and cut out a part of the pen. But the links will unravel if I just cut them. So I have to figure out how to bend them, and then attach them to the side of the shed too. Both things are on wheels as we were hoping to move them thru the yard... (I have attached pictures to hope it helps make more sense...)
    ;[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by