An EGG-speriment

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Capvin, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    We have six red sex link hens that are just a bit over 18 months old. We built them a pretty large elevated coop with a very safe enclosed run. The run is about 12 X 20 and because we have bears, bobcat, racoons, etc. we had never let them out except for about 30-45 minutes and as long as we were right there watching. They are all great egg layers and the eggs are eggceptional. For the last several months we have not had the time or patience to let them out and I really had not seen a difference in their eggs either in taste or in yolk color. We feed them quite well with lots of greens put in their run along with fruits and vegetables to compliment their feed. Recently I was watching a food program on TV where a restaurant in France had their own chickens and it showed their eggs and they had a wonderful bright yellow-orange color and it made me jealous. I decided to get some temporary poultry fencing and I fenced in a large portion of yard and scrub area that, in total, encompased an area of about 15000 square feet. My intent was to begin to let them out every afternoon for about 3 hours where they could free roam, eat lots of grass and bugs and to check every day and compare the color of the yolks. So far they having been going out for 7 days and so far the color of their yolks has gotten noticeably yellower. I will keep this up and see if there are any other changes.

2. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    sounds good. I was wondering if my yolks were any different than store bought and I finally checked tonight when making Bisquick pancakes for dinner I used my last store egg and one from my only layer so far and the difference was awesome! I let my flock free range for 14 hours a day. I have seen hawks but my chicks are in a 30x10 run with 3 foot metal fence and covered in bird netting. I am thinking mine have to much free range time and that's why only 1 out of 9 are laying so I might start keeping them penned in until noon. Sorry, I rambled away, lol.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Your hens may be laying but their eggs are not in their nest boxes. I wait until I am fairly certain that all my hens have laid their eggs and I have collected them before I let them out. Right now it is still pretty hot here so I usually wait until 3PM. Try keeping them in in the morning and see what happens.

4. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I am going to try that. They don't have any real good hiding spots in our run, I have been checking every day just in case someone tries to lay in the run. It's pretty much just a flat grassy lawn they have, they haven't dug any holes and I put 2 nesting boxes in there for them to use and they just take all the stuffing out, lol. We'll see what happens today. My RIR was singing the egg song last night and squatted for me for the first time yesterday and she was sitting on the highest perch last night longways so her whole body was horizontal on the 2x4 wondering if she ended up laying on the perch[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by