An embryo or exploding egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jobeis, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jobeis

jobeis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am on day 22 of hatching my first clutch of ducklings - mini Magpies. I've candled the eggs at day 7, 14 and 21 and it looks like out of 10 eggs, I only have one. :(

I am worried though about exploding eggs though. I have 2 incubators running and there is a smell in one but I don't know if it is the normal humidity/cooking egg smell or if the dark egg is going bad. The shells are very light/almost transparent in these eggs and the one egg has a darkness in it that you can see, even without a flashlight.

I thought the darkness was the sack of the duckling growing but now I wonder if it is a hazzard waiting to happen. Are there any good photos on the internet of what a rotton egg looks like candled?

I've put the eggs on lockdown so I don't want to handle them anymore but I guess I am paranoid. Any advice on how you can tell if it's a good or bad egg?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    sniff test them if it stinks chuck it, you can try putting it in a cup so if it does you can contain it to a degree

3. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    I'd say pick it up and smell it it's the easiest way I know of . I just had a funky smell in mine turns out one of my marans eggs were going bad .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    By day 14 you should have known that some were not fertile & removed them. From the sound of it, it doesn't look good for the one you have left. I'd pick it up, VERY CAREFULLY, & smell it, if that is the source of the smell you will know right away.

5. jobeis

Mar 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This isn't the best photo I've ever taken but it's the best I can do for now. I sent it to a few people and most of them think it looks rotton. The yellowish ring looks more greenish in real life.

I'm sick with a head cold right now so my smelling is off. It doesn't smell horrible but then again, I'm sick. . .

6. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    Definate death in shell. If it was due to hatch there would be very little space in there. Chuck it but do it very carefully.
    If you have ever put iron filings in sulphuric acid or let off a 'stink bomb' you get the idea. A rotten egg is about 10times worse stink than these though!

7. jobeis

Mar 4, 2013
    OK thank you. I will pick it up with a plastic bag. Shoot, all my eggs were a bust this time.

If at first you don't succeed. . .

8. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    ...........cheat and buy chicks!

9. jobeis

Mar 4, 2013
    Well I couldn't take it anymore so I double-bagged it with ziplock bags and cracked it open. A bunch of green/black gunk came out. I couldn't even find an embryo. Very gross [​IMG]

Glad it didn't explode. Oh well, live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by