An essay my step-daughter wrote about chickens, she got an A+

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kelly FG, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Its about life & our chickens. She is 14 & everything is about her friends right now. I'm so proud of her for writing something so witty & unique. I'd thought I'd share it here with my animal lover friends [​IMG]

Animal-like Behavior

Do you have any pets? If you have more than one or watch the Animal Planet, you’ve probably noticed that animals are like humans in a multitude of ways. They all have generally the same necessities such as food, water, oxygen, shelter, and company. Most humans as well as animals want to be superior to others of their species. Some humans and animals have leadership qualities and take control over those who just want to follow the crowd. One exceptional example of this relationship is female chickens (hens) and teenage girls.
    If you’ve ever owned chickens as pets, as I have, or have ever studied them, you know that they are very much like teenage girls. With teenage girls, as you most likely know, there is an order of popularity and respect. The same goes with hens. In the bird kingdom, this is called the “pecking order.” Chickens, like dogs and cats, have many different breeds. Many times they are discriminated against within the flock because of their breed, color, age, or size. In my flock we have seven hens that are all the same age. There are two Buff Orpingtons named Sunny and Margurite, who are both large and yellow; a Black Australorp named Daphne, who is black and slightly smaller; two Easter eggers named Penelope and Genevieve, who are brown and average sized; a Red Star named Olivia, who is brown and orange and much smaller than the rest; and a Barred Rock named Amelia, who is black and white and larger than the rest. Because Olivia is so much smaller, she is constantly picked on by the larger chickens. She is like the girl that just doesn’t seem to fit in. Margurite and Sunny are always together because they are the same breed, color, and size. Genevieve and Penelope are also the same breed, size, and color so they are usually together as well. Daphne and Amelia are the same color and therefore also tend to stick together. Although Daphne is also small like Olivia, she is prettier and bossier. She is the leader of them all. Because Daphne doesn’t like Olivia, she is rarely allowed to sleep with them or eat with them. Although if it is an exceptionally cold day or if there is danger, they will all come together to either keep each other warm or ward off predators. Does any of this remind you of teenage girls?
    If you’ve ever been a teenage girl or been around them in their natural habitat, they are extremely analogous. They group together by hair colors, the way they dress and talk, their height, age, etc. There is usually one “alpha” and if that one girl doesn’t like another girl, they are immediately picked on and criticized about everything they do. The amazing thing about all this, though, is that the next day they could all be best friends. Are you seeing the similarities yet?
    Another example is their use and abuse of freedoms. They stay in the same general vicinity with the same daily conditions without much room for change, but when they are given a little freedom they run wild. My chickens are kept in my backyard, but if the gate is left open they will tend to go into the front yard and towards the street, headfirst into danger. When teenage girls are given freedoms such as going to a party without parents or staying out with friends a little later, they tend to take advantage and take part in activities they wouldn’t normally be able to. When given the opportunity, hens and girls can choose to either do what is right, or what is wrong. In most cases, the first choice is wrong. People often say humans are smarter than animals, yet they are so alike. Humans do have a greater ability to gain and use knowledge, but just because the opportunity is there, does not necessarily mean it is always taken.
    If you’ve ever heard the expression “You’re acting like an animal,” you probably took it as an insult. Well, it really is true; all humans do act like animals! Regardless of the fact humans are technically animals; we act more alike than you’ve probably ever noticed. Did you ever think of yourself like a chicken? I bet you’ll take a longer look in the mirror now. Oh, do I see feathers?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Very witty and true.. Great job young lady.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great essay. There is no wonder she got an A+. She is definately a thinker and an animal lover. The way she could compare teen girls to hens, its a concept I never thought of...but I will now. LOL
    I especially like the end... " Do I see feathers?" Cute touch!!
    Congrats for her A+.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    That deserved an A+!!![​IMG]

Your daughter showed a lot of wisdom with that essay. She is growing up...[​IMG]

Jean

5. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Kudos to your daughter! What a wonderful analogy! Very clever and deserving of that A+ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

How insightful! She deserved that A+! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She deserved her A+! One very insightful girl you have there.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yep, witty and unique. Also, she's very lucky to have had at least one excellent language teacher.

9. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    [​IMG] She gets an A+++++ from me!!!!! Very smart young lady.

10. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That was an awesome essay, thanks for sharing. Very smart girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by