An Experience to Remember--Pics

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by urban escapee, Apr 13, 2012.

1. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    Today it is a beautiful 73 degrees, with a slight wind ruffling through the trees and just enough cloud coverage to make it perfect. I decide that TODAY is the day to start trying to free range the Turkeys along with the rooster packing peanuts.

They are about 2 months old now and their gobbles sound like barks but they talk to me just the same. Every day I go out to the turkey pen, there they are-all bustling at the door as if to say, “let me out, let me out!!” So it was time.
    I open the door and as usual I can’t get in to check the feed in water without stepping on them. Stretching the door wide, I sprinkle scratch around the opening to entice them out. It didn’t take much. Off like a shot they went, pecking and scratching at the ground gobbling up the goodies that I left for them.
    [​IMG]

I stand around for a few minutes while they explore their surroundings, then slowly start backing away. I wait a few more minutes, because they seem to be following me…and while that will be good when I want to catch them, not so good for todays lessons in freedom. After another few minutes I start to move back to the opening of the goat pen, to watch them from a distance. I busted out laughing when I looked over my shoulder. You would have thought that I was a mother duck based on the trail of birds I had behind me. I head on into the goat pen and settle down on a stand built for the goats. The roosters trying to keep up with the long turkey legs, try out their wings and skitter across the pasture, the turkeys running to keep up with me. The goats…well you would have thought that aliens had invaded their space, they were curious to be sure, but didn’t necessarily want what they were getting.

Sitting there just watching the birds while they got comfortable with their new surroundings, Eve, our soon to be milk goat, comes over and jumps on the stand with me. She nuzzles my hand and I begin to pet her. Eve believes that if you are sitting there, you are there to be her jungle-gym. In my lap, down on the ground, back up again. “Pet Me NOW!!” A little nibble on the shirt sleeve, “Hey, whats that on your hand?”
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, the turkeys are wandering around checking out the goats, the feed buckets, weaving in and out of the fence. One poor turkey went through the fence and for the life of him couldn’t figure out how to get back in. I walked around the gate and he ran to me, although he wouldn’t let me pet him. He followed me safely back to the gate. When I got there I found that all the goats and the birds, had followed me to the back pasture. Again I was laughing at their antics
    Sweetheart, our newest mama goat, quickly found the turkey rations, which I had to move to get her out of. Then she sniffs out the scratch on the ground and starts nibbling at the millet seeds while one of here babies is crying for mama. She of course was too busy to respond.
    [​IMG]

When everybody seems to be distracted. I move at a fast pace and get out of the pen. A few of the turkeys, with their beaks full of seeds, seem to say, “hey where ya going?” I stand outside just out of their line of sight, and watch for a minute…I think they are going to be ok. I grab my basket of eggs and head back to the garden.

The garden seems to be coming along nicely. Although, I am concerned about my pole beans. Maybe I will ask my Sister-in-law for some horse leaving…old ones that is, for garden mulch. I am sure my plants will love it. I break out the water hose to give everyone a drink, its gonna be a hot day and just as the water begins to flow, I hear a strange sound, and my head shoots up and looks around. A slight pause then a smile begins to break upon my face. A roosters crow. Then again, just a little bit louder, err-a-err, all scratchy like a 13 year old boy. I am watching the run, and here comes Sirius Black, my Black Copper Maran. Neck stretched out, beak open, and another Err-A-Err- A-ERRRRR. Not quiet at full volume but close. He quieted down when he thought there was fresh scratch for him.
    [​IMG]

I finished watering the garden, full of energy and joy for the day.

So now I am cooking breakfast of bacon from a local meat market and eggs from my own backyard. Can life get any better?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That was absolutely beautiful! I could so clearly see it all! Thanks for such a wonderful post!

3. urban escapee

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    your very welcome :)

4. urban escapee

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    It really gave my heart such a zing to hear that rooster finally crowing.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

What a great way to start your day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by