An explaination on hard-to-come-by breeds/strains

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by saladin, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    My intention is to help new folks understand why it is hard to get birds from some of us.

I sell a few birds each year; mostly Asil. I also sell a few Cubalaya each year. With my Cubalaya I'm very particular about the buyers. I've put a lot of time and effort into my Cubalayas. Every bird I keep I need. I don't sell culls period. Thus, if I let a Cubalaya go then I'm letting go of a bird that I really need. I only sell to folks that have some type of track record with Cubalayas. Why? Because I may need to get stock back for my continued breeding efforts. How many Cubalayas to I hatch a year? This year it was around 250. How many will I keep: less than 25 I can promise you that. Is this profitable? It is to me because it brings me pleasure in seeing the breed improve. Am I 'elitist' for being particular about who I sell too? I think not. Like anybody else, I have the freedom to pick and choose. Is everybody going to like my choices? I don't know.... I didn't consult everybody else about my chickens. When everybody else starts paying my feed bill then they can tell me what to do with my chickens. Is this good for the breed? I surely hope so. Is this an arrogant way to think? I certainly hope not.

So how would someone that wanted Cubalayas develop a track record with the breed? Start the same way I did 15 years ago: with hatchery stock. I raised them until I understood the breed. Then I began collecting stock from breeders all over the country. That took a lot of time and money. I integrated those birds into the stock I had and steadily saw improvement. It wasn't easy but I learned a great deal along this journey. I am always seeing folks that want to start on top with some breed that they keep a couple of years or less and then toss by the wayside. I understand that folks can run into problems where they can't keep birds anymore. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about folks that have one breed this year and one the next. That's there right, but I think it is my right to choose not to sell birds to those folks.

Please try to understand my situation and others like me. We have worked very hard to get where we are with a particular breed. We do want to help others out. But that is not always easy for us to do with the limited stock we have. I don't run a hatchery. I'm in this for the love and enjoyment of it all.

Other breeders are more than welcome to make comments.

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    nah saladin, you are dead on...

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand and agree. [​IMG]

4. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I admire you for your focus and dedication to a rare breed.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree 110% saladin, I think you already wrought everything that every breeder I know has been saying now for some time.

Chris

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I resent your point of view but its yours to have....[​IMG][​IMG]

7. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK

Why would you resent it? Just curious. I thought it was very reasonable.

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

I think he is been too selfish... but that's just me and its my own point of view.. you can resent it also(my point of view) its cool with me...[​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln

2x I have to say that OP is a very dedicated breeder. Many of us have gone thru a different breed one time or another until we settle on one or two breeds that we would not give up. I agree with the point of view that he is making.

10. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I agree with you .After doing all the work you deserve to pick the best for your own use as breeders needed for next years matings,after all it is only the very top quality birds that will improve the flock.Average good birds only maintain the flock quality if used.However your average birds may very well be improvers for someone else,and may even help vigor and production if less related.
    I know anyone that gets my adult stock,gets birds that have made it through numerous cullings,so have good potential as breeders .I often keep some extra cockerels that have promise,just to see how they finish out,it is yet another culling tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by