1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An Idaho chicken chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sharwig, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sharwig

Sharwig Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Hello all!

I've also been following this site since we brought or first chicks home last March and you all have provided some great advice! We started with four chicks purchased from a local farm/garden/pet store (Zamzow's...they're great if you're ever in the area!) -- two Auracana's and two RIR's -- I kept telling my husband something wasn't right with one of the reds and sure enough, she turned out to be a he! He was a beautiful specimen (see pic) but was very aggressive so we gave him to a friend that owns a farm. Rumor has it he's doing quite well for himself and is quite the cluck-catcher! ;-)

We then introduced four more hens (one RIR, one Auracana and two Barred Rocks) from a local "enthusiast" and that's when things got real! Since then we've dealt with lice, mites, worms, bullying as well as molt, freezing temps and 36 inches of snow!. This is where this site has been most helpful; thanks to ya'all we have nursed our hens through all of the above and we're back to getting 5-8 eggs a day!

We just brought home six more from a local hatchery (Dunlap) -- three Welsummers, one more BR and two Cochins. We decided to go the hatchery route because of the many positive reviews found on your site.

As you can see, you all have been a HUGE help to me as I navigate this crazy world of chickens so for that I thank you all! See on the next post/forum!

[​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your ever-expanding flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! It's great to hear you have found BYC so helpful whilst on your chicken adventures. It sure is a great place for lots of fab info. What a shame one of your originals turned out to be a boy, he sure is handsome! It's great you could find him a new home on a farm and that he is enjoying life.

Good luck with your growing flock and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Welcome!!! COme find your local chicken peeps too. There's a north Idaho/eastern washington thread you can pop in on.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sharwig, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sharwig [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Sharwig

Sharwig Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    "Welcome!!! COme find your local chicken peeps too. There's a north Idaho/eastern washington thread you can pop in on."

Thanks! I'll check it out!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us!
    Haven't heard anyone mention Zamzows in a long time -- grew up making many trips there when we'd go "down below" (we were up near McCall) to visit family.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by