an idea for Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stylus46, Dec 8, 2007.

1. stylus46

stylus46 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Middlesbrough, UK
    i am currently expanding my set up and i requre around 9 nesting boxes i have been looking for wood to construct them but its slightly expensive if bought from new so i have seen some plastic builders buckets for 98p nearly $2 each i have checked and my biggest hen fits in the bucket so i thought if i lined them up on there side in rows of three and screwed them to like cross bars and put a small panel accross the bottom to hold the wood shavings in. The question is has anyone used anything simmlar and does it work well? i also imagine that its alot more hygneic with it being plastic and no joins your comments please!

Stylus

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    How many hens do you have? The bucket idea sounds fine, If the hens like it is the question, as long as they can go in and out comfortably it should work fine!

3. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I tried the kitty litter buckets pretty much the way you described yours but make sure to put a piece of cardboard on the floor part-where the chickens feet will scratch. I know because when I first put the buckets in they would scratch the bedding/straw right out of it but would not stay long. They just jumpped out. When I put the cardboard slat on floor - they liked it much better.

I think it feels weird on their feet...plastic. [​IMG]

Also, if you can get some milk crates. You know, those big clunky cubes? I use a couple and my hens LOVE those.

Good luck!

Pedro ~:-V

PS I put plastic cut in slats in front of the boxes (Much like the curtains in a walk-in cooler) and they like that A LOT! Anyone else do this? I think they like the privacy it gives them! LOL!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, the buckets work great. It's what I use. The girls like a little privacy, I have a rag cut in strips tied around the opening of the bucket.

Jim

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I would love to get those - but for the little chicken door out to the run, that would help keep the cold OUT - if I could find some......................

6. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:I would love to get those - but for the little chicken door out to the run, that would help keep the cold OUT - if I could find some......................

HUmm...well, I don't do it for the door to their house but that's a good idea to keep cold draft out. I wonder if a doggie door would work? You can cut slats on it if it's not already cut? Interesting...

7. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I was thinking about the plastic slats for the chickie door as well...didn't even think about the nest box. Are they the clear kind on the nest box? I was thinking clear for the door so that light could still come in the house.

8. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Yes, I use the plastic you get at Wal=Mart.

Here's what it looks like:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Disregard all the chicken poo...it was BEFORE I cleaned it! How embarrassing! [​IMG]

9. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Yes, I use the plastic you get at Wal=Mart.

Here's what it looks like:

Before:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/paganfish/FinalPicsInside2.jpg

After:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/paganfish/coopinside1.jpg

Disregard all the chicken poo...it was BEFORE I cleaned it! How embarrassing! [​IMG]

Wow, thanks for the picture...that helps a lot. If I were to go to Walmart, what section would I look in to find that plastic?

No worries on the poo. I saw something a lot worse the other day.

I like your henhouse. Very vibrant colors. Mine is a fraction of that size! But with the cold weather, my birds can stay warmer in a smaller space I guess. Looks like you have those buckets on a shelf?

10. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:You are welcome...and THANKS! [​IMG]

I don't know about all Wal-Marts but I found mine by the paint dept. They had them by the brushes and what not. I think Home Despot and Ace Hardware have it too. [​IMG]

They come in all sizes and lengths. I bought a big roll (forget the size [​IMG]) for, I think like 7.00 and it goes a LONG way. [​IMG]

Just ask for the plastic lining rolls. They'll know what you are talking about. [​IMG]

I have 37 birds living there so it's mighty crowded but, I usually separate them in Spring (Have another bigger but not as sturdy coop beside it) but for now...since it's cold (13 degrees and dropping) the more--the merrier. Until morning...that is. Usually, in that coop...there are 17-20 birds though...and they are bantys! LOL!

Pedro

PS Yes, the buckets are between two shelves. That room used to be the dining room of the old house. I stapled the plastic on the ledge of the top shelf and let it hang down...I think the yellow on the walls makes it look brighter when it's dark out and I have the light on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by