1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An illustration in the importance of good nutrition

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lotta3, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Lotta3

Lotta3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    I got my first ever ducks in October - two ducklings from someone I know reasonably locally. I had a stubbornly broody hen so got her a couple ducklings to rear simply because they were available.

I read up on their care and thanks to sites like this I have done pretty well, I have reared two gorgeous, healthy drakes.

[​IMG]

So I contacted the breeder as she had promised if it turned out I had 2 drakes she would swap one for a duck as she has nothing but ducks and was a mixed chatching of three breeds (Rouen, Magpie and Aylesbury)

I chose to send Noodle (the Magpie) back and keep Dumpling as I want to rear for the table, and the breeder asked if I could take on (as well as the swapped girl) one with a broken leg that needs one on one care... I said I would as I've trained in animal care....

Well it's shocking! both girls development is incredibly stunted and as far as I can tell it's all down to one thing... they have had no brewers yeast or any other form or supplemental niacin.

The difference between them and Dumpling or Noodle is immense, they have rickets, even the 'healthy' one has a limp and bendy legs. The one inside has a badly twisted leg and is pretty weak but even 24 hours later is improving immensely, she is eating like the clappers and drinking well and moving well in water to take weight off leg. (was broken 3 weeks ago and partially healed twisted)

[​IMG] Dumpling with Becca - they hatched the same day!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jemima (Mima) was also hatched on the same day... yet looks 5-6 weeks younger with her scrubby down... all three are 14 weeks

I am now supplementing with brewers yeast, upped their protein and calcium and vitamin C. Mima is staying in the house and having daily short sessions of swimming and blow dries (5 min swimming) to allow her to get some exercise without straining the leg. Her left leg is twisted in and she'll probably always have a pretty severe limp but she's chatty and bright and eating/drinking/grooming and generally ducky so I think fairly comfy with her new splint on.

[​IMG]

but I think this is clear enough evidence that nutrition has a profound effect not just on health but overall development.

2 people like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The picture of Dumpling and Becca says it all.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    That is crazy and an amazing visual.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Nothing upsets me more than seeing this type of thing. Shame on that neighbor/breeder of yours! Sadly, I see a LOT of farmers and ranch owners do this to their ducks because they're simply ignorant and never bother doing their research. I've even autopsied a dead koi, only to learn that its owner assumed that "fish eat water" so he never had to give it any attention whatsoever. To him, it was just a status symbol as koi are expensive and beautiful to look at.

[​IMG]

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Well, I'm so glad your giving them a good home. I hope you phone the breeder and give her the rundown on proper nutrition...

6. Lotta3

Jan 21, 2014
    I spoke to the breeder and she was in tears... too little too late imo but she *has* now bought brewers yeast and is feeding it to everyone else

She's working on getting them fed right and try fix the damage already done

here's some pics of Mima today after 2 days in my care (in mum's arms lol) she's gained around 4oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Glad you told her.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I will be adding this thread to my list of helpful BYC links. Thank you for the documentation!

9. Lotta3

Jan 21, 2014
    as far as I'm concerned those pics can be shared far and wide as an illustration of just how important researching the right diet for any animal is. The woman who raised Becca and Mima is pretty experienced with chickens and treated the ducklings like chicks... didn't even consider there may be dietary differences.

though if shared off here I would appreciate them being attributed to me at my blog https://catamongthechickens.wordpress.com/ where I'm documenting Mima's recovery

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Very good, thanks, will use that linkā€¦.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by