An incubator full of quitters?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kindergartenegg, Feb 17, 2013.

1. kindergartenegg

kindergartenegg New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    I recently bought a Brinsea mini advance to use in my classroom. I thought I should do a practice hatch at home first, so a friend from church brought me several eggs from her place. She mentioned that she didn't know if they were all good ones, since her hens had been hiding eggs around and may even have been sitting on them. So, I candled them all and chose the ones that seemed smaller on the inside to put in the incubator. Now over a week into this project, I see some eggs that don't seem to be growing at all, no blood vessels or dark spots of a eye. The other eggs look to be about half dark, but do not move around in the eggshell, just seem stuck to the inside of the egg. Is it time to start over? :(

2. kindergartenegg

kindergartenegg New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Don't be afraid to say the bad news, although it makes me a little queasy to think about. At least the kindergarteners won't have to face the unfortunate outcome, this time at least.

3. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Oh that's a tough one. Have you compared what you are seeing to candling images on the forum? It's a lot more difficult to say what may be happening due to the uncertain circumstances your eggs were laid in. If you continue to see no progress in the eggs over the next few days, I'd recommend starting over with eggs that you know have not been partially incubated and have been laid fairly recently and within a few days of each other. Partially incubated eggs are usually problematic.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. kindergartenegg

kindergartenegg New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks, Sally! I'm working on checking calibration.
    I had decided to abort the hatch and candled one last time. The first three eggs I took out were definitely quitters, but in the fourth I saw movement! So, in all, it looks like 2 out of 7 eggs could survive to be adorable chicks. So excited! Only 8 more days...

As soon as this hatch is over, I'll clean up the incubator, set it up at my kindergarten classroom, and start another batch. This time, my students will get to experience this, so here's hoping for an improved outcome. (Also, this time, I have a different source for the fertile eggs.)

6. kindergartenegg

kindergartenegg New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    I guess they weren't all quitters after all. This morning, I have 2 pips, but I had to go to work. I can't wait to see what I come home to!

7. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    YAY!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by