An independent Speckled Sussex

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
A while back I got three SS chicks from a small a Breeder/hatchery and two turned out to be cockerels, leaving me with one pullet.
She is a small, tough and independent kind of hen, very good at getting out of their run, and smart enough to get back in. She started laying, and didn't miss a day until recently when I started to notice that there wasn't any eggs from her. I just thought that she was taking a break, until one day she disappeared. We look everywhere for her but came to the conclusion that a fox must have got her on her wonderings.
I finally found her a good way from the run, hidden at the base of a tree sitting on around 18 eggs. She's still sitting on them, although I did take a few away, and they should be hatching next week sometime. Here's a photo I got of her today, when she was having a break.

Attachments

• PB132583.JPG
    PB132583.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 26
The chicks have hatched! I wasn't expecting them just yet, so it was quite a surprise! I guess I must have lost track of the time..
I'm not quite sure how many there is, maybe ten? And three different colours, black, brown and yellow.
Now I have a question, when she started sitting there, it was a well-hidden spot, but the long grass around it has been dying down, and so she is more exposed than she was. There is foxes around, and I'm a bit worried that both because she's more exposed, and because the chicks might make more smells, that a fox is going to find her.
To you think I should move her and the chicks, or leave them be? I would like to let her raise them naturally, but not if it means becoming dinner.

The chicks don't smell, but her broody poop does.
If you've seen the chicks I guess she's moving around, so not still sitting waiting for the last egg(s) to hatch, in which case I'd bring them into your protected area if she doesn't. They will come for food and water so it shouldn't be difficult to lead them into safety. Then she can raise them naturally and you can all sleep soundly :)

The chicks don't smell, but her broody poop does.
If you've seen the chicks I guess she's moving around, so not still sitting waiting for the last egg(s) to hatch, in which case I'd bring them into your protected area if she doesn't. They will come for food and water so it shouldn't be difficult to lead them into safety. Then she can raise them naturally and you can all sleep soundly :)
She hasn't moved off the nest yet, but the chicks were climbing around the nest. The trouble is the coop where she was before with the rest of the flock has only got two nesting boxes, and there is already two broody hens using them.
I could put the family in an unused dog run, but that is on the other side of the garden, which would mean putting the chicks in a box and carrying the mother, and I'm not sure what she would think of that.
I think I should have thought this through before now 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom