An interesting/beautiful mix breed! PIC!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 77horses, Sep 8, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    So we decided to mix a Splash Cochin(standard) rooster with a black Ameraucana pullet(standard). This is what we got:

[​IMG]

Her name is Oreo and she is the CUTEST and most friendly chick we've ever had! [​IMG] Her feathers are coming beautifully and she is 49 days old in this picture. [​IMG]

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    So basically you have a fancy Easter Egger.... what a cutey patoody!

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Well not an "Easter Egger". [​IMG] Easter Eggers are "mutt" breeds(mixed) and Ameraucanas aren't. There's a difference. [​IMG]

But that gives me an idea for our new "breed"... [​IMG]

How about a "Fancy Ameraucana" or something like that... [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Oreo is the sweetest little chick, too. [​IMG] She will follow me around when she's outside, and when I tap the ground she runs over to investigate(kinda like if a mother hen calls her chicks over when she has found food). [​IMG] She loves to sit on our shoulders and sleep in our lap/on our hand. She will even sun bathe in our hand! [​IMG] She was also the first to be hatched in our homemade bator(the brooder hen that was sitting on the eggs abandoned them so we moved them to the bator).

Soon, Oreo will be graduating to the coop with all the other chickens! [​IMG] But for now she sleeps in her brooder box in my bedroom. [​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    So is she a blue color? This is what a blue cochin looks like (compare pattern/color of picture to Oreo):
    http://www.simplymainestuff.com/Cochin dad blue p cutout 3.jpg

Looks pretty similar. I wonder if splash/black makes blue? [​IMG]

Also, does anyone know if she will lay blue eggs or not when she starts to lay eggs? Her mother(Amer.) lays blue eggs.

6. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    ooooo I thought I had read that someone said that EE were Americauna mixes. I am sorry. This chick is darling. I have a favorite chicken in the flock who is a little blue cochin pullet named Molly. Your little sweety pie reminds me of her when she was 2 or 3 weeks old. What a cute little chicken.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Yes, anytime you breed an Ameraucana to any other chicken, you have Easter Eggers. Very cute mutt chick though.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Oreo should be blue. Anytime you cross a SplashxBlack bird, you will get all blue offspring.

9. cartychic

cartychic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2009
    Ireland
    awh its just sooo cute, i want one now [​IMG]

10. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Just to be clear....... I know there are a lot of experts out there.. I am a newby at this. Just to be clear.. If I have an Americauna ROOSTER and several different HENS (RIR BO and BA) all of their eggs could be hatched and sold as EE? Is this correct? Some of them will lay beige pink blue green brown or maybe even white eggs? Right? I am going to get a Wheaten Ameraucana Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by