1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An interesting observation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've been having a real problem getting my hens to lay in the coop ever since one of my hen hatched chicks in there. I built a new nest box of 3 nest mounted on the outside of the shed. I put a golf ball in two nest and a fake egg in the the other. 4 of the hens have found the nest and are laying in one nest. Yep, the one with the fake egg. Now I'm going to put a fake egg in the other two and see if they change nest or if it matters at all. I thought this might be interesting for folks wondering which to use. [​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Did that when the current flock was at point of lay only I used real eggs. I have ten nest boxes in two tiers of five. Used six eggs and moved them around daily, The golf ball moved between two boxes on the upper tier. When you post your results I'll relate mine.

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Today I swapped the egg with a golf ball in another nest. Three went to the egg nest and the forth hasn't layed yet. Here anyway the egg is favored. I will see a hen go in one nest but will move to another one to lay.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've sort of noticed that. I keep golf balls in all my nests. Some hens prefer the same nest every day, but some seem to lay where another egg was already laid.

Some days the left one has more eggs, some days the right one has more eggs. I think that depends on which nest had an early egg in it, along with the golf ball. And practically every day, the higher nest has one and only one little pullet egg.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I have 2 nest boxes....one has a golf ball the other has plastic egg. All eight of my hens lay in the box with the plastic egg.

6. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I find that very interesting. I watched one chicken move twice till she ended up in the nest with the fake egg. How bout that.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    As the common wisdom has it they did tend to lay in the nests with an egg. They laid more in the nest with two eggs already there in the morning. Funny thing about the golf ball. The EEs laid there. I used brown eggs as the decoys, the golf ball was white. Don't know why the EEs preferred that golf ball. There was only the occasional brown egg with the golf ball.

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It really is interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by