An Odd Chick... Hen or Roo? PIC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Laurajean, May 15, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I realize it's too soon most likely to tell if this chick is a hen or a roo, but I'll attach a pic anyway and I have a few observations I'm hoping to get some feedback on. This chick is 11 days old & common opinion is that it's most likely a Mille Fleur d'Uccle . It lives in the brooder with 5 Silkie chicks and 1 Cochin. They are all bantams.

So here's what I've noticed about him/her:

1. From day one it has been an oddball. It freaks out and runs around crazy when I reach into the brooder to pick it up. When I do catch it, it chirps loudly and constantly. It will eventually settle "somewhat" in my lap, but even then chirps and objects the whole time.

2. It seems more advanced than the others. I put a branch in the brooder for them to roost/perch on and they were all freaked out by it, and then eventually simply ignored it. Today I woke up and discovered that the little oddball was on the branch, sitting there like a pro.

3. It's feathers confuse me. It's had them since day one, and I didn't think chicks had feathers yet. They're only on his wings right now, but very clearly feathers and it has a huge wing span.

So I'm wondering if it's just a moody, bossy defiant hen, etc. Or it's a breed thing, and she just behaves differently than the more mellow Silkies & Cochin. OR....does all this indicate that it could be a Rooster??

Thanks in advance for any input you have about it's behavior or it's sex.

[​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I think it's either a breed thing or individual personality thing! It's way to early to tell the sex, wait a few weeks:)

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    He/she is adorable!!! Look at that cute little face! [​IMG]

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:1.) My EE hen was the same way - - - To this day - - - she is afraid of everything and everyone. She is the lowest on the pecking order : ( We named her EXPRESSO because she was always expressing herself. [​IMG]

2.) My leghorn hen was this way. Always in trouble . . . curiousity killed the cat kind of thing. Always hopping up the the tallest perch.

So I would say # 1 & # 2 do not indicate roo - - - just personality of the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by