An Odd Nesting Mallard...Am i Alone on this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cswappo, Oct 2, 2013.

1. cswappo

cswappo New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    orem, ut
    Hello Backyard chickens community! This is my First post on here!

I am a proud parent of three female ducks! one is a peeking, a Russian Blue, and a Mallard.
    Our mallard(Maggie) is the baby out of the ducks. she is the most vocal, and high maintenance out of the three. Ya know, She is just our little baby? [​IMG]

Anyway

As of four-ish days ago our mallard started hiding under our pine tree. we discovered that she has built a nest underneath the tree. no big deal right? we find them all over the yard.

Well i've become a little worried because she has not moved from there for almost five days...atleast that i have seen. I am not doubting that she gets up to get food and water when she feels safe...we just haven't seen her move. She is the most vocal and we haven't heard a peep out of her for a little bit. Every time we go to check up on her, she starts to flair her tail and hiss at us! I figured she is being protective. When i went to check up on her today, I discovered that she is sitting on almost 10-15 eggs!!!....as if she is waiting for them to hatch? [​IMG]

As i said before all three ducks are female...as far as we know.... all three have been laying different sizes and color of eggs.
    So we have ruled out that the eggs are not fertile.

So I guess i am just curious if i am alone on this? does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? I feel bad because deep down i know they are not gonna hatch and that is what she wants the most! So i'm wondering if maybe i should attempt to bring her out from the nest of just let her be social? .....I just Don't know what i should do for her...

Here is a picture of her and the nest under the tree.

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The most important thing is keep her safe! I let my broodies sit on unfertile eggs. I have one sitting now. She is in the night pen, where it is safe.

Really, a sitting duck is defenseless.

3. cswappo

cswappo New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    orem, ut
    Good point.
    So Do you think i should try and move her from the nest to her pen?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes definitely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by