An old Lady in the Salem/Flora Illinois are killed by a Pit Bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whispering Winds

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Bond County, Illinois
No way am I starting a debate here on Pits. I love them, my kids have had them for years and my daughter has one now that is just the biggest ole' baby there is, unless she thinks someone is messing with HER family. But, any loyal dog will do that. I have a little Shihtsu that will tear your leg off if you come too close to me if I am in bed.

Anyway, I haven't seen the entire story, but she was walking their two little dogs and this PB broke off of the LOG chain that was securing it, and killed one of the dogs and the old lady. So sad. Dog was put to sleep, of course, but the red flag here was the LOG chain. Feel sorry for everyone concerned, really, as people who think they are being cool having a dog like that is now probably going to go to prison!! And, the victims family lost a loved one in a totally senseless incident.

That's horrible............ Any dog is capable of attacking, but what was that dog on to be able to break a Log Chain? That was an extremely stout dog.

My heart goes out to her family.

Isn't log chain REALLY thick? Like, strong enough to haul giant logs thick?
How would anything smaller than a rabid bull be able to break that?

Unless of course the owner bought great chain, but didn't bother securing it properly.
That seems more likely than a dog breaking it.

That poor woman and her family, and even poor survivor doggie. That poor thing is probably having a horrible time after watching his/her owner/friend die, and not being able to do their 'job' to protect them. Just bad all around.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Any large dog left chained to a tree without proper socialization becomes very territorial if they aren't that way by nature... This is always a hard situation.

I saw this in the news the other night. It was sad! I have a feeling the town will probably pass an ordiance that people will not have any more pits.

Any Dog (large OR small) who is totally isolated from its own kind is going to be hard to integrate.
That's why they make dog parks isn't it? To socialize.

I'm not in for tying dogs to trees anyways. Our parents did that to our GSD when we were kids and it was awful. Dogs don't normally poo where they eat, but with a chain there is no way to avoid it. Even if you try it just gets caught in the chain and dragged around with you. I was the lucky duck that got to unravel said poopy chain when it got kinked up from basic movement and crud, not even counting getting wrapped around the tree. Poor Cleo, such a beautiful, smart doggie. And trapped in a 15' circle her whole life. I know some dogs must be contained, I get that, but I'm SO glad those cable things are becoming popular. Esp. the ones that you string all the way across your yard! Those are great, if you have to chain at all, please get that kind!! It's less work for the owner, and more freedom for the prisoner!

I have a feeling, in this area, dog fighting might be an issue. I think they hook them to a log chain to build strength. I just feel so sorry for that poor old lady, imagine the horror and pain she felt while being mauled to death by that dog. It's just a sad story all the way around. These dog owners are the type that cause the rest of us to have to change OUR dog ownership rules. They usually aren't for the normal dog owners either, its pens with woods or concrete floors, fencing so many feet high, and so many sq. feet, no more than a certain # of dogs, excluding puppies for a certain amount of time. I would be interested to see how this area changes and handles this horrible incident. Salem is really a nice town, up and coming in industry and growth, so this is a blackmark on their record for awhile. Sad deal.

Mine is chained only when he's outside untended. When I am outside he's on leash with me. Now his cable is close to 75' long and he can roam close to half an acre on the cable. He isn't left on there for long periods though... Only when he's in a squirrel chasing mood
smile.png

I have heard of them building strength with log chains. They keep putting heavier ones on them, as their strength builds. My son rescued a dog awhile back, he was also dragging a log chain (he was puppy). It was really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom