1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An oops with the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeenaB, Nov 22, 2013.

1. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    So yesterday I started what will hopefully be my first hatch- as everyone I have now I raised from day old chicks.

Anyway I have a Brisnea Mini- Eco. Yesterday I set it up, got it to a stable 99ish temperature and put the eggs in. This morning I woke up to a 105 temperature reading on it. So sometime between 9pm last night and 7am this morning the temperature changed.

I seem to have rectified the temperature and for now it's stable.

Will my eggs be ok?

I also added a thermometer in the bottom by the eggs which measures a few degrees higher than the air temperature.

Which temp should I go by?

None of my girls are broody- otherwise I'd go that route.

Thanks-
    Leena
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    It is possible the one in the bottom doesn't have the air circulating around it the upper one does so your not getting the same reading. In addition, if you didn't calibrate both thermometers, there just may be a difference between the 2. I'd go with the glass one. 105 is a bit high, but you won't know if the eggs are still good till you check (candle) them in 7 days

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks so much I was hoping to candle on day 3 to see if the eggs made progress. My son put another egg in just now after we had the don't count your chicks before they hatch conversation- the joy of being 9 and really hopeful.

I know my metal thermometer is reads accurately as it's calibrated to a digital one I have that's very high tech and too big to fit in the incubator. I've used the metal one to measure brooder temps last year and only lost 1 out of 14 chicks- but due to pastey butt.

5. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    If you can tell if an egg is fertile at 3 days, you either have experience or a good eye. I've done it, but on light shelled eggs. On darker shelled eggs I've found that 5 to 7 days is a lot easier. (But I've been incubating for 30 years & I've learned about patience )[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by