An Oozer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blessedchickenmama7, Jan 11, 2010.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I have a silkie egg on day 6-7 that appears to have small, dried drop of what looks like crusty egg white on it. It does not smell, and it has not "oozed anymore" for the last few hours. A couple nights ago my temps went way up and i have been watching like crazy since then. I saw this while turning today. So I candled. There is definitely a chick in there and I am pretty sure it is moving a little. So what should I do about this? Anything, or let it go. It's a silkie, and I really, really, really want it!

Edit: forgot to say there are no visible cracks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Anybody know anything?

3. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I would sniff it daily if it goes bad u will know ...gag...puke! But other than that I would keep it going [​IMG]

4. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    if there's a small hole, could the chick still live? I didn't scrape off the crust. I figure it might be sealing a pinhole or something.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Your nose knows....I promise. Ask me how I know. [​IMG]
    Leave it be.

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I had an oozer today. Blerch,.. oh, you will know one when you smell one. I have an awful sense of smell and I had no problems smelling the oozing egg.[​IMG]

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    The initial signs don't look good, but if you are sure you saw the chick moving in there then it is alive and should be spared, just keep an eye, if it starts to smell or anything it has most likely has gone bad and the chick has died, candle it again on day 10 and see if there is a change, again, if you visibly see the chick moving in there all should be well, compare it with the other eggs of the same age if you have any, they should all look the same, out of interest what type of incubator are you using and how high did the temps get and for how long? try to not allow the temps get too high as this will be harmful for the chicks more so than lower temps.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I never had an oozer but I did have a bad egg once. I couldnt figure out what smelled so bad-I ripped apart my whole kitchen and nothing until I opened the bator and smelled every single egg-oh yah..it was an egg-nothing was in it at day 10 so i put that in a ziplock and threw it away... smelled like rotten potatoes.. [​IMG]

If the chick is alaive let it go like the others stated just keep an eye on it or a nose on it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by