An Open Letter to Significant Others (a RANT)

Pics
My son took a very poor girl from the trailer park to prom. She was going to have to wear her mom's friends prom dress from 1992 because they couldn't even afford a used one. So I had her send me a pic of what she wanted and I made it. It was just a simple little dress, only took a few hours. My son dyed his hair to match it lol. She was so happy she cried and cried and cried. Poor little thing even asked if she could "please" keep it afterwards. That's something I'd enjoy doing at a high school for sure.
Where is the LOVE button???!!! She's gorgeous - as is that dress!

That gives me an idea! We do a prom closet every year (where kids bring in their clothes from years past and we sell them for $5 each). Maybe we could get the knitters circle or the Kiwanians to do something like what you did. I was going to get the local cosmetology school to do hair/makeup for free this year, too. Fabulous!!!!!

That would be a really difficult character! The most expensive I made was the blue renaissance fair dress I posted on the other thread. I had just gotten my inheritance and splurged. The 24 yards of cloth was real silk, it was trimmed with real freshwater pearls and the gold lame trim was hand made shipped in from India. It was a over dress, under dress, headpiece, chemise and detatchable sleeves and took me 2 months of sewing 4-12 hours a day to complete. I only wore it once lol.
It sounds beautiful! I would love to see that one... And you still have it and can wear it again one day... Maybe with Jack Sparrow...

20190813_141832.jpg
It sounds beautiful! I would love to see that one... And you still have it and can wear it again one day... Maybe with Jack Sparrow...
Here it is. I did wear it with Jack, he always dresses as him for the renaissance faire lol

This is for any of those "just a housewife with a sewing machine and plenty of time" types out there. Earlier in life, I was a (self proclaimed) "house husband" for a couple of years (wife was active military, and we moved 3 times in 3 years-with 2 infant children)
First, I call BS about the "plenty of time" comment. 18 hour days, 24/7 and I never got it all done. 25 years later and I still hate that job that I loved.
Anyhow. The real purpose of this post. I recently retired, I moved back to my childhood home. My mom was a seamstress, fanatically so. She taught me to sew, but it's something I have no interest in. So now I have five or six hundred lb of cloth. I filled 2 armoires and the top of a double walk-in closet with the "keepable" material and disposed of a couple hundred pounds of "Mother what were you THINKING when you bought this " stuff.
Called the local school district to donate to home-ec...they don't do that any more.
So, if you're "just a -anything-" and sew for your family, school, theater group, or anything else-and happen to be in the north west portion of SC. PM me, tell me your story (I'm donating and don't want it to go to someone who's going to sell it at the flea mkt).
Maybe I can make your day!

This is for any of those "just a housewife with a sewing machine and plenty of time" types out there. Earlier in life, I was a (self proclaimed) "house husband" for a couple of years (wife was active military, and we moved 3 times in 3 years-with 2 infant children)
First, I call BS about the "plenty of time" comment. 18 hour days, 24/7 and I never got it all done. 25 years later and I still hate that job that I loved.
Anyhow. The real purpose of this post. I recently retired, I moved back to my childhood home. My mom was a seamstress, fanatically so. She taught me to sew, but it's something I have no interest in. So now I have five or six hundred lb of cloth. I filled 2 armoires and the top of a double walk-in closet with the "keepable" material and disposed of a couple hundred pounds of "Mother what were you THINKING when you bought this " stuff.
Called the local school district to donate to home-ec...they don't do that any more.
So, if you're "just a -anything-" and sew for your family, school, theater group, or anything else-and happen to be in the north west portion of SC. PM me, tell me your story (I'm donating and don't want it to go to someone who's going to sell it at the flea mkt).
Maybe I can make your day!
Very thoughtful of you! I hope you find a worthy recipient!

Hmm. Check with your local churches and see if any of them make quilts for the homeless. My church does but we are "up to here" in fabric and no linger have a person to cut squares for us! Or see if there is a quilting guild in your community. Check with the local sewing machine stores, they might know of someone. Good luck, and bless you! If you are in Colorado I *might* know of someone....

Back
Top Bottom