An owl carried my MIL's poodle 100 feet

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickensAreSweet, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My MIL emailed me today telling me what had happened last night.

She said that she let her small poodle (one of them) out at 10pm last night to go potty. My MIL was right there at the front door- not 20 feet away from her.

An owl swooped down and carried her dog 100 feet to the west! She found her and she was bleeding but alive. An 18 year old dog!!!!

Has anyone had this happen to them? Oh how horrible! [​IMG]

It sure makes me glad my chickens get put away at night!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Wow! an owl

As a kid, eagles would occasionally carry off little dogs. Once even went after a 2 yo girl.
    How is the dog doing? OK I hope!

Imp

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OMG... thats nuts! [​IMG]
    Hows the dog now?

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    That has happen to me. I went to let my Beagle pup out to go (2 AM) and she was just a few feet away when the owl swooped down. She didn't get her, thank goodness. But she wouldn't go pee outside at night for a few days.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Her dog has puncture wounds but isn't mortally wounded. She said that she appeared dead when she first found her lying there.

My MIL is really sad about this -she had expected her dog to pass soon from being old and frail. She can't walk well at all, etc. (Now she is in pain too.)

She is just offering supportive care now, and hopes that her suffering will end soon. I wouldn't be surprised if she takes her to the vet for you know what. [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Oh that is so scary. This must be very common!!!

[​IMG]

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    It might be enough trama to push the little dog over the edge. Its hard to lose one.

8. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aww, so sorry that this could be the end of your MIL's old friend, instead of just passing peacefully in her sleep.

The ornithologist at the University where I work told me that he did a study on the Great Horned Owls in Los Angeles and found that during certain times of the year, they ate nothing but kittens (likely when the ferals had their spring breeding boom). [​IMG] And many toy dogs aren't going to be much bigger than a kitten.

It is easy to tell what an owl has been eating if you know where they roost, since there will be the coughed up fur and skeleton pellets under the roost.

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I'm so very sorry...oh my goodness...what a terrible tragedy. In the face of such a terrible tragedy it's thankful that little precious one was at least found and can be surrounded with familiar comfort at this time. I'm so sorry.

10. ChickensAreSweet

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and condolences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by