An ugly Motley Crew - but what are they? 15 pounders!!!

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
Someone dropped off 5 chickens today that they needed to get rid of and heard I had chickens and asked me if I would take them. The lady had bought them at an Easter auction fund raiser for her kids school and get this - PAID $90 for them. Now wants to get rid of them. So they drop them off and the wire cage they had made and the "food" (just corn scratch). Anyway I could tell immediately it was 4 roosters and a female. But...they are the ugliest motely crew I've ever seen. They are completely bald in some spots, quill feathers in others and huge combs that are too big for their heads. The lady and kids kept them inside, I believe, in this cage, with a heat lamp - I'm guessing that's why they aren't feathered and combs are too big. Also they are half the size of my chickens that hatched around Easter and mine are beautifully feathered.

Are these even chickens? If so, what kind? I'm sorry I told the lady I would take them off her hands because what am I going to do with 4 little roos and ugly ones at that?

motleycrew2.jpg

motleycrew1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah hubby said he was going to have to look into how to process roos. I would feel badly though because she bought these for her kids and they are their pets but the parents are divorcing and the mom and kids are moving to a city in Florida and can't take the chickens. I told her to tell her kids they would have a good home here. I guess that could be technically true right up until dinner time.
smile.png

Well my little Motley Crew fit right in with the rest of the barnyard flock and are happy little freerangers. They keep to their own little group of 5 when out. But I still have no idea what they are.

Here's a close up pic of one of the little roos. All have tree trunks for legs - all 4 roos had big combs when I got them and they were only a couple of months old. Sometimes I think they might be meat birds, cornish crosses or even turkeys - they are getting so big and fat and have a different body shape than any of my other chickens.

Anyone have any ideas what these are?

what.jpg

Wow...

they're cute in a homely "only mother would love them" sort of way...

but I have no frickin' idea what they are!!! LOL!

My Goodness!!! Looks kinda like one of those Godzilla chickens that was posted on here.

Poor things look they been in a tornado or something with those feathers. Who knows, with your good care they may fill out and become beautifull birds.

Let us know if you find out what they are......good luck.
idunno.gif

Well here's some more pics of the ones I call The Motley Crew.

MotleyCrew3.jpg

what2.jpg

This one I call Little Girl because she was the only girl in the Crew. She was very sweet and followed me everywhere and let me pick her up. She's outgrowing that a bit now and hangs out with the guys in her Crew. She's also the prettiest and the only one with consistent feather coloring.

LittleGirl.jpg

These birds are still pretty young, three months, but their legs are huge and their body shape is different. If they are some kind of meat birds I think I've read they don't live very long. I'm going to have to do something with all the roos also but don't think I could kill and eat them.

Back
Top Bottom