1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An unlikely mate in chicken society

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dirtylittlefly, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dirtylittlefly

dirtylittlefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Vancouver, WA
    I caught our Cuckoo Marans mating with Silkie, who is at the very bottom of the pecking order. He's the biggest wuss you ever met. At the time, we had 2 other FBCM roosters. The meaner one caught what was happening and ran over to assert his position. All Tito had to do was stand up and look at him as if to say "this is a private party."

So proud of Silkie! He's been the loser since day one and now he's the only one allowed to mate with our top chicken. He follows her everywhere, it's adorable. We've since culled the mean FBCM and now only have one other rooster. Silkie is still terrified of him but there's hardly any pecking as Silkie can run away and squak quite effectively. I haven't decided which to keep yet, I know 3 hens to 2 roosters isn't the best ratio. :p

They're all around 20 weeks of age. Silkie was in the original batch of 4 we picked up, and the other Roos came as straight run afterwards, I can't think of another reason why Tito would prefer Silkie over our beautiful FBCM.

Do you have any odd stories of birds that match up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by