An unusual pest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AdiosCowboy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. AdiosCowboy

AdiosCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    For the past few days I've been having an errant rooster (from where? who knows? I can hear three roosters around my neighborhood, but this is the first I've seen) hop the fence into my backyard and preen and crow outside my girls' enclosure. It is completely covered with the fence going about a foot underground and strong netting on top so I'm not worried about him getting in, he's just making an awful nuisance of himself. I live in a semi-rural area where he has lots of trees and brush to run to (and he can hop the fences in between fields much more easily than I can) so catching him or even calling animal control isn't practical.

Aside from hoping the coyotes get him, is there anything I can do to keep him from hollering and flapping around until I run him off the property? Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Oh my! I can't offer any suggestions, but your post really makes me chuckle.

Do you have a big dog you could unleash to chase him away? If not, perhaps you could bait the coyotes over to that area? LOL!

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Get out there just before dark and watch where he roosts. Then blind him with a light and grab him. Unless he`s really high, this works about 90%. Ya gotta be quick........Pop

4. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I say make him into dinner.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'd build a big trap, size like a coyote or dog trap, and bait it with food AND either one of your hens in a smaller cage inside, or a rooster, even better. He WILL go in it and you can do whatever with him after that.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Chickens are REALLY easy to catch in a raccoon-sized live trap. Use anything for bait, cat food, marshmallows, etc. but whole corn works good. They're dumb and curious, and driven by food = super easy to catch. And they never learn. I caught some of my own hens several times until I started closing the trap every morning that I didn't catch anything.

7. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Catch him and sell him at the auction.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You'll probably have some errant 'romeo' showing up every year or two looking for his own broodies. Every once and awhile you might find a keeper. He'll probably give up though after awhile and look elsewhere. We had a beautiful buff rooster hanging around last year and one of my neighbors down the road finally nabbed him for herself. I would have but I already had my own.

9. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    The last thing you would want is coyotes to come. I don`t care how safe you think your girls are. The rooster just want to have fun with your girls the coyote wants them for dinner.
    Quote:

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:let the girls out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by