An unusual simultaneous hatching!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pete55, Sep 15, 2011.

1. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi All

Here's an unusual picture for you that we had earlier in the year, a Dewlap Toulouse Gosling and a baby Macaw hatching at the same time [​IMG] The whole hatch was synchronised from internal pip, external pip and finally hatching [​IMG] Oh and yes they were both incubated in the same incubator!

Pete [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thats so cool. It amazes me that some birds hatch with feathers and some are pinkies. how do you brood and feed a Macaw?

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Very cool, Pete! Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Oh they're kept in incubator conditions and fed by a small syringe with a baby mix gruel 2 hourly. As they grow over the weeks the temperature is gradually reduced and the feeds extended to 4 hourly when they can take more volume [​IMG] Takes about 16 weeks to wean them [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Wow you are going to be busy. Much easier to raise chickens and ducks. I'll bet with that much interaction the Macaw will be very friendly much easier to handle. I have 2 Cockatiels that I got as adults. I can not handle them. They will bite and draw blood. I know they can be trained, but with work and taking care of now 50+ chickens 5 ducks 4 dogs and family I dont have the time it would take.

6. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    wow thats awesome. I would love to hatch a parrott. Way to cool. dont think I could be up to feeding every 2 hours though. so no hatching parrotts for me.

7. Quote:That is so cute! I bet they both look a lot different now. We need updated pics!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Oh the hard work's done now as that was earlier in the year and they're all weaning now. Yes it's hard work when there's a few to feed but very rewarding once weaned [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally this is now as they're starting to sample soft food and only fed with a large syringe once a day [​IMG] The red ones are Greenwing Macaws and the other type is Blue and Gold Macaws that we reared this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. jlasuzi

jlasuzi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Beautiful birds!

10. Oh! They are beautiful! I especially love this pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by