An update

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
A few months ago you may remember I had to put baby Adina down. Unfortunately it looks like Quoba is now showing signs of the same disease. Because the birds I got my eggs from were mostly related it's probable that they are all carriers of the hereditary disease that the little ones have. I know they weren't full siblings as their eggs were laid the same day, however the rooster that sired them could have been the same bird.
Either way it's looking like Quobie will be euthanised today before he gets bad. He's still able to stand but his balance is getting worse. I'd rather not wait to see him get as bad as Adina had before she was euthanised. The vet is coming out at 4:30 to see him.
I hope you all have healthy chicks and dont have to go through this. And maybe some day in the future there will be tests to determine if breeding stock are LSD carriers.

I am so very sorry.....
hugs.gif
hit.gif
What a horrible thing to have to go through...

I may want to also add, even though it is a different problem, if anyone lives in the South or where mosquitoes are a problem, they may want to vaccinate their Emu for West Nile as well as Eastern & Western encephalitis. The people we got Jazzy from lost almost their entire flock from West Nile a few years ago. I keep mine vaccinated for both on the horses schedule.

Back
Top Bottom