Anal cavity swollen

Cfaure

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2015
Vryburg North West
Hi everyone. Hope someone has got a solution for me. Been crying all day. My one Reeves pheasant chick (week old), hes anal cavity is swollen and he can not poop at all. His lower body is purple and swollen due to no pooping. He is in so much pain. Last year it happen to 2 other chicks, I culled them because they where in agony. Is something stuck in there or what can be wrong? Can food do that? To much protein....calcium? I am desperate for help.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Hope someone has got a solution for me. Been crying all day. My one Reeves pheasant chick (week old), hes anal cavity is swollen and he can not poop at all. His lower body is purple and swollen due to no pooping. He is in so much pain. Last year it happen to 2 other chicks, I culled them because they where in agony. Is something stuck in there or what can be wrong? Can food do that? To much protein....calcium? I am desperate for help.
soak his bum in warm water and gently rub his butt.Put some vasaline on his butt .....He sounds like he got plugged up....

Cheers!

I have soaked is butt in warm water, massaged him. Gave him coconut oil. Nothing is working. The brooder is big, with the warm light on the one side so they have got the other side to move to if they get too warm. What causes this to happen?

Keep soaking in warm epsom salt bath and lubricating with a Q-Tip soaked in oil until you get something moving. It is almost certainly pasty butt at that age and you need to open that passage up so that poop can pass out otherwise it will die. Rub and massage it's vent with your fingers whilst it is soaking in the warm water, then apply oil and soak and massage again.

Good luck

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom