Anatipefister infection

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MichalK, Apr 14, 2016.

1. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Has anyone had an immobile duck ever recover from New duck syndrome with treatment?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you had the vet look at the duck? Can you tell us what makes you think this is the problem?

We don't see this, much, that I know of, and I don't doubt you, but I think it would help for you to share a little more background.

3. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
  4. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    We don't have avian vets nearby, I did an online vet consultation. He says most likely the anatipefister infection. I think duckling had sepsis. Vastly improved since Sunday.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thank you, MichalK, we need to keep collecting this kind of information.

I have not had to deal with that in our flock.

And hooray for you! Hope the little one keeps improving!!!!

6. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    I've read that it has high mortality and very contagious.
    I think, from my experience in medical and the articles we've read, it quickly went into septic shock. Gasping, limp, seizure like episodes. Refusing to eat or drink. It was definitely dying. I didn't think it would recover. This duckling is a fighter. I gave him a 0.1 ml shot in his thigh once daily since Sunday, and also sulfamethoxazole solution with niacin in water. Sunday I forced liquids in his throat between gasps. Also some food mush with electrolyte water. I kept him in a hoodie I wore backwards to keep him with me at all times. He started eating mush Monday on his own, and water. The only symptom now (5 days later) is it has almost no balance. I say almost because it had zero up until this morning. He was flat on his back flapping his legs, unable to get his feet under him. But it's getting it's feet back under him today. He's eating, drinking, breathing normally, active, talkative. I'm hopeful he will make a full recovery. He's a silver appleyard from Johnson's. We ordered three. Another one started showing symptoms and I gave it antibiotics immediately. It is not showing symptoms now. I am thinking the batch of appleyards were exposed to the bacteria at the hatchery. No other ducklings we ordered have symptoms. But I gave them all the sulfamethoxazole solution since then. The rest are perfect.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks again - very useful information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by