Ancona Babies!! Can you ID my colors?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by toadbriar, May 28, 2010.

1. toadbriar

toadbriar Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    8 out of the incubator - 1 still working on it in there, & 2 late quitters. Not bad!!

So what have I got?? One looks just like my first batch of 3 who turned out white. 2 are for sure black. The flock they're from was listed as blue & black (waves to North Dakota ;-) so I dunno how chocolate might get in there, but take a look willya? thanks!

[​IMG]

is this next one a chocolate on the right? looks lighter to me than the black on the left. feet look the same color though.

[​IMG]

One thing's certain though, they're all awesome [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. toadbriar

toadbriar Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I know black, blue, and silver would make sense...but could that dark almost-black really be blue? the picture color on my monitor is pretty faithful to life.

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    all out now - 11 went to lockdown and 9 made it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    So cute! Obviously, one of their drakes carried sex-linked brown dilution (if a hen carries brown, it will show). He could have been black, but heterozygous for brown. He could have also appeared blue, but really been lavender which also carries brown.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

They're precious! [​IMG]

6. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    those are soo cute!! honestly i know nothin about ducks, i just clicked 'cause there were babies to be seen.[​IMG] but that one does look brown.

7. toadbriar

toadbriar Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Quote:LOL "obviously" to you [​IMG] I really need to make myself an illustrated color genetics chart - or get programmer-husband to code a widget! Or both!

I need to take some more photos today - this was a wonderful hatch and I'm thrilled. Now I just get to wonder about sexes!

thanks lacey and b.hromada! [​IMG] I kept having to look again - and again! because you know, I spent a month looking at my last hatch of three, trying to see where colors would pop out...sure they'd turn up with some color somehow....but they're all-white! so - I was doubting my eye for objectivity.

8. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Songster

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    I saw a couple of chocolate Ancona's today and the local poultry swap. An elderly man had them in a pen with a couple of Muscovy's. It was my first time to see any in person other than in books. Very pretty ducks. The hen was laying and laid an egg while we were there. He sold it to someone for $1.50. We would have bought them if we didn't already have 8 ducks as it were. They sure were pretty though.

9. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    The chocolate ones should be hens. That is presuming that the breeder really didn't have any that were visually chocolate (phenotype). Since it is sex-linked, the drake passes it on to the female offspring. Unlike with drakes, if a hen is chocolate she will show it in her appearance. If none of the breeders hens were chocolate (and just the drake carried the sex-linked brown), then those babies should be hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: