Ancona chick not growing feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Empera, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Empera

Empera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    I recieved a McMurray order on the 17th of Feb. The one ancona that made it through shipping is not developing feathers on her butt and sides. Yet she has feathers on her wings of course.

At first I thought it was too hot or something but no one else had that problem so I was worried. She is the smallest of all 12 chicks she is with. She eats and drinks and is active.

Is she just growing slowly or are the other chicks picking on her?
    (I haven't witnessed them doing that)

[​IMG]

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I received my order of x3 Anconas the same week (actually picked mine up on the 16th at the PO Distribution Center). All 3 of mine seem to be developing their feathers ok. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

Out of the 83 I have left, there are maybe 8 or 9 (other varieties) that have little to no tale feathers yet - also in the picture (though all seem to be developing wing feathers ok). They also seem to be healthy, eating well, and I don't see any picking.

On a side note, I have 14 varieties of chicks. Each 'kind' seems to interact with me differently. Out of all of them the Anconas seem to be some of the most friendly and inquisitive. In fact, I have to move slowly and watch carefully so i don't squish one because they want to inspect and pick at my shoes, pants, feed bag, etc.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Empera

Empera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    Thanks Bullwinkle. My Ancona is the smallest chick I have, and she arrived very weak. The other Ancona I ordered was sadly smashed at arrival.

Since it was a mixed up holiday weekend, some of my chicks seem to be a day or two older than the rest. She might be one of the younger. Idk.

She does have tail feathers on her butt, but on the area around the tail, the down is practically gone and you can see all of her skin for a little ways.

I looked at some of the others and they seem to have the same thing but not nearly as much as her. It seems normal, but not for her. Maybe the down is falling out because feathers are starting to grow for them, but hers is completely gone.

[​IMG]

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hi Empera

Some of my chicks are the same. It seems that my black stars were especially small also. On maybe 10 of them it also seems like they are losing their fuzz faster than the feathers are growing in (so I can see their skin through the remaining fuzz too). They seem to be in good health. I've made sure the temps are good so they won't get chilled as a result of not having as much 'insulation' as some of the other chicks. There is no blood, scratches, or other marks that would indicate any kind of pecking.

On a different note, my goslings and ducks (4 days younger than the chicks) so far haven't grown any feathers, but they have grown like crazy... and have the thickest down I have ever seen. They are only 13 - 14 days old and never use the heat lamp now. Very thick down!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by