Ancona Coloring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by busymomnd, Aug 29, 2014.

1. busymomnd

busymomnd New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    I have an black and white Ancona that is about 2 months old. On the edge of its wing feathers, there is some dark, deep green, like the color of a Mallard head. I was wondering if this is normal for this breed or if it indicates male or female?

Thank you!

2. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is normal coloring for an ancona - not sure if it indicates sex as I have seen it on both males and females - most often on the Black and White rather than the Brown and White.

3. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    From the website of Worth It Farms, which seems to me to be a knowledgeable Ancona breeder:

"Beetle-Green Sheen
    The best-marked black and chocolate birds will have a "beetle green" sheen on their feathers. These are the "keeper" birds. The most common place to see this sheen in action will be the Cayuga or Black East Indies duck. Both are known for this beautiful coloring. Pictured is a Black feather showing the sheen."

http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

I have had four B&W Anconas, and the beetle green has been especially clear on two of them. While those were both males, my understanding is that it is not necessarily indicative of sex. The best way to sex your duck at this age is going to be by quack. What kinds of noise is it making?

Also, there is a nice thread for Ancona ducks on here... And somewhere in there is also a discussion of the green sheen in black feathers. It was really surprising to me when it showed up, but now it is one of my favorite things about my favorite drake. It just looks really pretty.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    It is normal and seen in a lot of black and white anconas. Especially after a new molt when they feathers are fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by