1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ancona duck-dog attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by meirby, Mar 13, 2017.

1. meirby

meirby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    My almost 1 yr old drake was attacked by a dog tonight. I cleaned him up and applied derma gel to his wounds. I have him inside in a back room in a dog crate. Should I be concerned about how calm he is? He's my least- lapducky. I got him a few months old from a farm where he did not interact with people so he's shy... but when I discovered him earlier he got up and walked toward me. He has been uncharacteristically relaxed with me... but not 100% and he tensed when he heard my dog in the next room. He can stand, but it seems painful for him so my interpretation was in his ducky brain he knew I was safer than the dog... and maybe it hurts to fight me... but that isn't typical animal logic. Could this be a sign that he's in shock? Is there anything I can do about it?

2. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    My biggest concern right now is his demeanor. He is extremely calm and not moving around much. (Not himself) can I assume it's just injury related or should I be worried about him being in shock. And what should I do for him?

3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    If he seems that bad off a vet would be the best option.
    He is probably in a lot of pain. Or maybe has internal damage. Is he eating and drinking?

4. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    He has eaten some. I put it in with him only about an hour ago, and his water is already a little dirty from it.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say shock for sure. keep him warm and safe inside. Offer water with poultry vits an electrolytes in it to help give him some strength during this time. You can also offer some feed made into a soupy mix[use warm water]

What types of wounds does he have any thing serious?

And yes as Ducks4us says a vet is always the best option.

@meirby

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is his worst one on his back left side under his wing tip (before I cleaned it) he has another in the middle and a smaller on his right side under his wing tip. Best I can tell he was bitten across his back. His tail feathers are broken/ripped out a bit.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless, Keep it all clean like your doing and hopefully none too deep. They are amazing their ability to recover from terrible attacks if we give them a chance.
    I hope you know who this dog belongs to so you can deal with the owners. Most of us on here have no tolerance for dogs running loose attacking our birds.

8. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    It was my fault. My dog is fantastic with my ducks... They are her ducks. I made the mistake of forgetting not all dogs are my dog. I left it unattended with the ducks. I've done it a million times (I keep the dog for someone). My Peking is on the aggressive side these days because he is going through puberty and his girl was taken by a fox.. He picked the fight, the dog took it too far. Charlie (the bully) isn't hurt, but my two smaller Anconas weren't much of a match. It's all very confusing... I think the dog hurt Gordy- then hurt Fulton, but I think Charlie is the one who killed Gordy...and my dog stopped the attack on Fulton and I showed up...this is theory based on what I saw.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    For warmth... Would a heat lamp or a heating pad be better? (I have both)

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Either would work just make sure he has enough room to get away from the heat if he gets too warm. If you go with the pad cover with a thick towel

So you lost one duck and the other is injured. What makes you think Charlie killed Gordy?

Very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by