Ancona Duckling Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ancona Breeder, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ancona Breeder

Ancona Breeder Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    I have never bought ducks from a hatchery before and I have 30 ancona ducklings comming from cackle hatchery in march. What care do you give them once picked up at the post office

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here is a summary of duckling care.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

And that's what the forum is for - asking questions. I suggest you read the above thread, and then ask additional questions on here.[​IMG]

One thing I would say that is a little different from the above - which I have read and it seems really really good - is I would keep food and water with the ducklings 24/7 for the first two months.

Most duckling raisers get really surprised by the way ducklings play in water. They are waterfowl. They need water. They need it to drink, they need it to wash their heads to prevent serious infections. They develop better with closely supervised time in water up to their bellies at first, and then a little deeper as they grow. They enjoy it. They throw it. They put things in it.

Please look at the suggestions for water management. When you get that handled, life becomes much easier, and more fun.

Another item is diet - if you cannot get duckling starter, and most folks cannot - I urge you to add niacin at 100 mg per gallon to their drinking water. It may even be a good idea to go with B complex, because that contains thiamine, also. From what I have been reading on the forum, those two nutrients are lacking pretty regularly in starter feeding.

That's what I can think of right now.

Welcome to Duckdom!

Oh, and ducklings grow unbelievably quickly. I went through three brooders, because they outgrew the first two.

3. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes!!! ducklings grow unbelievably fast..this so Mom Duck can get the out of the nest sooner..

[​IMG]

While ducklings are a lot of fun..I dont know about 30 at one time.lol .they are also very messy because they PLAY in the water.. and are noisier then the chicks when they want something. But they do seem to be a little smarter then chickens and mine learn "Ducks Ducks Ducks" and will respond very joyfully. And Gracie, Fawn, S'covy and Daisy have learned their names.. Mine have also learned "Go to bed Ducks!!!" although they dont always lesion.

And yes keeping fresh clean water at all time is a must..the other thing the I have learned to do w/ my duckling is to moisten their food for that least the 1st 2 to 4 weeks.. It does seem to help them eat the dry stuff better when their babies.. Ducks actaully prefer their food wet. Like Wild ducks, domestic ducks that have access to pond/irragation ditches feed from the waters edge using the water to help with eating. When feeding the ducks/duckling they tend to run back and forth to the water to help soak the food and make it easier to eat. And it makes a big mess..While I dont moisten the food down for my adult ducks, again, I do for the ducklings..

And thank Amiga, for mentioing to add niacin and Vit B complex to their water..while I have never seemed to have any health issues using Chick Starter.. and my ducklings have all grown up fine..just have a Muscovy Duck who is Freezing right now... I will make sure to starting that to future duckling's water.. because their is always a 1st time for everything..

PS While I hope I have caught everything, please excuse anything odd in this post...My Goffins Cockatoo thinks I need her help..

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Cowdoggin,

seems to me not all ducklings are sensitive to the niacin levels, at least not obviously. So glad your littles have grown up healthy and strong. That's nice to hear. Oh, dear, a helpful cockatoo.

5. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes the cockatoo is 'really' helpful.. I keep telling her, she is Banty size and there is still plenty of room in the Banty Barn.. We are also about ready to see what Cockatoo taste like..lol

Yaa I have raise up quite a few duckling over the last 3 years, and have never seemed to have had any issues. however, did have a Blind Duck that hatched out, anyway now I have just jinxed myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by