Ancona duckling imprint

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkmaster, Apr 17, 2016.

1. silkmaster

silkmaster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Colorado
    I got a 3 day old duckling that seemed to imprint on his or her siblings but i have spent every waking moment with this duckling and it somewhat follows me if i keep its attention , talks to me, and sleeps on my stomach or crawls into my shirt to sleep. It peeps until im with it and when rejoined it peeps like it would with other ducklings. It seems to want to stay by my face. Does this sound like it couldve reimprinted on me? Iknow it was more than 48 hours after being born that i got it but iwas hoping it would be my buddy. Also in two weeks it will have two more ducklings for companionship so please dont think i am cruel to keep a lone duckling.

2. silkmaster

Mar 26, 2016
    Colorado
    Bump

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi [​IMG] There have been some very technical discussions of the specific meaning of imprinting and other behaviors in ducklings, and I don't recall all the details. I can say that ducklings are social critters, and for them, I have noticed that they are not terrifically choosy about species for their first few weeks. My ducks are still my biggest fans (which is really nice), even though they have each other, and I would not say they imprinted on me. I think they know they are ducks, but they really like me anyway, as goofy as I look.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. silkmaster

Mar 26, 2016
    Colorado
    Lol thanks Amiga! So do you think the duckling imprinted and knows its a duck but will show affection to a human? I had two pekin that I raised but they were absolutely terrified of me no matter what I did. I could never even hand feed or anything and I ended up resenting them and gave them to a better home that had more ducks and forage land at the time. It's kinda why I just got this one alone and am waiting a week or two to add buddies for him, in hopes that it will be friendly with me.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found (raising eleven Runners and adopting several adults) that it is very much up to the individual duck.

Salem was adopted as a young adult and she is one of my friendliest ducks, sidles right up to me, lets me pet her, eats from my hand.

Sechs stays near to me but if I reach down to pet her she jumps and hops sideways and runs. Then she runs right back next to me.

Alba doesn't want me to touch her but she yells like crazy in the morning until I come talk to the flock. They're not out of food or water or anything, she just seems to like to know I am okay.

Zwei likes pets. No one likes being picked up. Not a one of them.

So, do what your instincts tell you to do that will encourage their trust. The Runners, at about 3 weeks, overnight became terrified of me. Heartbreaking. But I followed advice from folks here and used to literally crawl up to the brooder so I would not tower over them, always spoke before entering the brooder room, avoided cornering them, etc. etc. and we had pea parties every day.

It took several weeks, but we all got through that stage and I have a very sweet and friendly flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by