Ancona ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Whitewinterwolf, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok, thought I should share here since this is the duck page,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There my husbands project, and oh my god are they ADORABLE!!! Sadly I screwed up the humidity the first week of incubation so we lost half of the eggs :( Only 4 out of 14 hatched, but at least they made it. And I also know better for next time should we hatch ducklings again.
    But, they are so adorable!! They just finished hatching today! A week late! Little buggers :mad:
    Any clue how to tell gender on them?

2. DaisyMeadow

DaisyMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Willamette Valley, OR
    I'm getting some fertile Ancona eggs next month. Don't know anything about the breed, though. Anything I should know before trying to hatch them? Are they meat or egg ducks? Yours are super cute. Thanks for sharing!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    What I got from my research on them is that they are duel purpose, but highly efficient foragers. Be diligent with your humidity! They will die if you aren't. http://www.barnofangels.com/Ancona_Ducks.htm this site has some good tips on incubating Anconas. They are so far very personable. Quite, and huge little things compared to there egg shell.
    They hatched very quickly, but if yours aren't hatching on day 28, leave them and wait. I'm sure mine were late due to the humidity screw up, but just in case I mentioned it.
    Good luck with your hatching! :D

1 person likes this.
  4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Anconas are great for eggs and for meat. There are many breeders out there so find ones that breed for traits that best suit your needs (eggs, meat, foraging, egg color, disposition, etc).
    They are a very calm breed as far as I have found. I breed for size (so the drakes make great meat ducks), egg laying (lots of eggs), disposition (calm, friendly), and foraging ability. I am working on a few of these traits to make them stronger in my flock, but on the side also breed for color with spotting and egg color (not as important at this point in time in my breeding program).
    You would be best off to invest in a hydrometer to keep track of the humidity vs guessing. You don't want too much because it will drown them, but you don't want too little as it will cause them to stick and have a difficult time hatching

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by