Ancona ducks first time laying eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat Lover 3, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    My Ancona duck (hen) made a nest in the corner of the coop that put them in at night. Lately, she has been laying an egg a day starting August 8th. Yesterday, she laid her 4th egg. I went outside last night to check on my goats, because they're due to have kids soon. While I was outside I noticed that Rosie was sitting on her nest. When will the eggs hatch? Should I separate my male Ancona drake? Will he hurt the ducklings or help her?

Here are some pictures of her nest and her first 2 eggs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my drake (front) and my hen (back).

[​IMG]
    Rosie my hen.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Ozzy Lorp

Ozzy Lorp New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Great!
    We have Ancona and Khaki Campbell ducks. Is your sitting on the eggs all day, or is she just "getting to know" the nest? Our hens will sit on the nest a couple of times during the day (usually early and late in the day). Just watch her closely to see how serious she is. If she decides to try and hatch the eggs, she will put the drake in his place, so don't worry. The goats might be a problem because they are so curious and want to play. Good luck.

3. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    She just started laying on her eggs. She only lays on her nest when she is in her coop. During the day she pays no attention to her nest! Once she starts laying on her nest when will her eggs hatch? I will watch the goats!

4. Ozzy Lorp

Ozzy Lorp New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
  5. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I can't find anything that says when they will hatch! I will keep looking though! Also, do some ducks decide not to hatch their eggs?

Thanks, :)
    Rachelle

6. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Congrats to you! You have a beautiful pair of Anconas by the way!! I'd say she is still gathering her clutch and not setting seriously, generally they lay between 7 and 15 eggs but they can lay more or less..... once she is setting on the eggs day and night you start counting, a good way to know when she is serious about hatching is she will pluck down from her belly and line the nest it will be matted in the straw to make a very soft blanket and she will use this to cover the eggs when she leaves for breaks..... larger domestic ducks take around 28 days to hatch. Good luck for a successful hatching!

7. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you! I love Ancona ducks! I was wondering if she will decide to lay on her eggs herself or if I should keep her in a pen with her nest?

8. kangareaux

kangareaux Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    We have 2 Ancona boys that we adore. Looking for girls. If anyone knows of anybody selling adult females, I'd really appreciate a heads up. ;)

I live in Louisiana and can't seem to locate any around here. Wishing I'd bought more ducklings at the feed store now. But of course, they were 'straight run' so probably ALL would have been males with my luck! LOL!

9. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
  10. lairdhillfarm07

lairdhillfarm07 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    We bought 14 Ancona ducks a few months ago. How do you tell the difference b/w male and female? Also when do they start laying? My last question is what kind of coop do ducks and Geese prefer?
    Jamie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by