1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Ancona Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WrenAli, Jun 27, 2008.

1. WrenAli

WrenAli Songster

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    I am thinking of getting a few Ancona Ducks from Holderread's in Corvallis, OR.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with these type of ducks?

Also I am a duck newbie.. How hard are they to keep? Do they need a pond? I know they should have one. But is it required? Will they sit easily?

Also I was thinking about getting young adults instead of chicks. What experiences have you had with Holderread's adults?

Pics would be great. I was thinking about getting a Chocolate Drake and different colored hens (Lavender, Blue and Silver I think). Is 4 enough or to many?

Thanks!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    I have an Ancona drake called Cinnamon. I absolutely LOVEhim. He is big, friendly, calm, and very very handsome! lol He is my best lap duck. I want to find him a girlfriend so they can hatch babies, but no luck this year. I want to get a girl next year I think. Until that happens, he has his choice of 10 other assorted breed girls.

They are a very rare breed from what I hear, you should get a few and breed them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: