Ancona feathers turning brown

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melmitchell, Jun 21, 2010.

1. melmitchell

melmitchell Hatching

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a one-year-old black Ancona that I thought was a drake. He doesn't have the curled tail feathers right now, so I'm not really sure if he ever had them and I didn't notice or if he just went through a molt. Recently, his black feathers have begun turning brown, similar to the color and pattern of a Mallard hen. Is it possible for a drake's feathers to turn brown, or do I have a hen that I wasn't wasn't aware of?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    It is probably a drake going through eclipse plumage....they will get female colors for a little while, before they get their plumage back. If he is getting brown with mallard coloring then are you sure it is an ancona?

3. melmitchell

melmitchell Hatching

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks! I had no idea that they did that. I'm sure he's an Ancona. I guess I should have been a little more clear with the explanation. I noticed that some of his black feathers are turning brown, all of his white feathers are still white. I used the Mallard hen description only because that's what the coloring of the newly brown feathers reminded me of. Thanks for all of your help!

4. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Oh my goodness!! I had no idea. My Mallard is going through the same thing and I had no idea what was going on with him. I'm so glad you posted that question. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by