Ancona Hen or Rooster?

hmayhugh

Chirping
Jun 7, 2017
Can I have some help figuring out if these are hens or roosters. I was told I had 2 hens but as they grow, they look very different. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! They are about 6 weeks old.

Attachments

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
you have one cockerel and one pullet (black & white) at this point in time. 6 weeks is very young, it is possible the pullet could develop into another cockerel. Maybe just slowing developing.

PS notice the Blue Kote, on a couple birds, - are they being feather plucked?

hmayhugh

Chirping
Jun 7, 2017
Yes! I'm totally new to chicks and the poor girls are plucking the heck out of each other's tails. I did narrow it down to 2 Bully chicks and one happens to be the "cockerel" Ancona... I have no idea what to do about it. I sprayed them with blue kote...

you have one cockerel and one pullet (black & white) at this point in time. 6 weeks is very young, it is possible the pullet could develop into another cockerel. Maybe just slowing developing.

PS notice the Blue Kote, on a couple birds, - are they being feather plucked?

hmayhugh

Chirping
Jun 7, 2017
Thank you all so much! I hope he is a nice roo because I really want to keep him around.

NatalieP

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
Hello there! I'm having doubts about my Ancona chick. Did yours truly turn out to be a roo?

Top Bottom