Ancona laying hiatus

hogthehedge

Hatching
Aug 28, 2016
Our beautiful, yet moody, ancona hen started laying several weeks ago for the first time. She has produced at least one egg everyday since (as far as i know, my husband also helps collect eggs). He told me that our Ancona has not laid a single egg in the last 4 days. I thought it was odd because i read that anconas are prolific egg layers, abd even though winter is setting in I didnt expect a 4 day hiatus. My other chickens are laying normally, so im not sure what to think. Anyone have advice or maybe some insight into whats going on?

We also have two wyandottes that have not started laying yet and we bought them the same time as our red, who has been laying for several . I was wondering when Wyandotte typically start laying?

Sounds like you may have a hen hiding her eggs. Does she have access to free range or a large pen? I've had hens hold their eggs in until they are let out and then go running to their favorite nest. This may be outdoors, in the rafters, or practically anywhere else. If she truly has taken a break, don't worry, she is probably just getting back on track. Offer plenty of nutrient rich food, good water, and a clean place to lay. She should start up again.

As for your wyandotts, they are naturally a slower to mature breed, so they should start laying a few weeks after the Ancona. Once they start laying they tend to be pretty consistent except when broody or molting.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

My Ancona are good at having hidden nests. I mostly find them high up in the hale bales, so definitely a good look around would be a good idea. Otherwise it isn't unusual for them to lay steady for a while than take a break, so it's possible she has stopped for a bit. Mine will take a few days to a couple of weeks off depending on time of year. This time of year hens are more likely to take a break due to shifting temperatures and decreasing daylight.

We thought maybe she was taking a break because the photoperiod changed. She started laying in the same nest that everyone else has been using and I haven't seen her nesting anywhere else in the yard. We'll see if she starts laying again but it has been almost a week now so it is kind of concerning.

Back
Top Bottom