Ancona or Muscovy Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Diane333, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Diane333

Diane333 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwestern PA
    Hi, I'm new to BackYardChickens and am looking for information:

In July of 2008 I was given a duckling for our pond that I was told was a Muscovy. Two weeks later I purchased a buddy for her at auction that said "Muscovy" on the box. They both looked like the pics I saw online of Muscovy ducklings, so never had reason to doubt that they were.

I have never had ducks and knew nothing about them at the time. I did lots of research online.

Now, they are grown. The smaller one which I suspect is a female, is about 5 pounds. The larger one is about 8 pounds and we think is a male. They both have claws on their toes. Neither one has caruncles. They both have curled tail feathers. They are both black and white, but more like patches than spots. The larger one has black markings on his legs and down his middle toes.

So, are they Ancona ducks or Muscovys? Do Muscovys always have caruncles?

It would be nice to call them by their proper names. Any help would be appreciated!~Diane

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They both have curled tail feathers.

Then they are both boys.

Can you post photos??

Since neither one has caruncles, they could be a mix.​

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    they are both boys,

I would need pics, but they sound like anconas, or mixes, could be muscovy mixes, or Ancona mixes

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't think Muscovy tail feathers curl at all. I can't remember seeing any curled feathers on the long tails my guys have.

I agree with the others. Pictures, please? [​IMG]

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Quote:Muscovys don't get curls on there tail feathers. Sounds like mixes and males. Pictures would solve this issue. [​IMG]

6. Diane333

Diane333 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks everyone!

Would love to put up pics, but can't figure out how to do it :O

7. arllcountrygirl

Quote:You click on uploads and then click on browse and then go thru your folders until you find the pic you are looking for. After that click upload or submit, whichever it is. Wait until you picture appears and then copy and paste the link to your thread. [​IMG]

8. arllcountrygirl

Try it again - you will need to wait until you see your pic of the ducks and then below it will be 2 diff links - depending on the size you want. that is what you copy and paste. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by